The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Torque Converter code

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote m1morrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torque Converter code
    Posted: 08-Apr-2010 at 00:23
Guys,

I just purchased my 94 w8 auto wagon from WI and on the way home I got a code for the torque converter problem. Stuck switch/bad wire/clogged oil ect....

The car runs and looks like new 40k on the odometer. The CEL came on about 2 hours into the trip. I did notice it was burning about 20-21mpg on the highway at 70mph which seems high. I was planning on buying the extended warranty tomorrow but it would not have gone into effect for 15 days anyways.

Am I totally screwed or may it be an electrical problem?

I feel like killing the dealer. It is too obvious to have happened on the way home.

Mike
ThunderRoad View Drop Down

Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2010 at 09:14
This doesn't make sense. If you truly bought from a dealer, there must be some minimal warranty? 30 days, 60 days, etc? In Connecticut, every dealer has to provide a min 60 days I think.

I think the TC repair is around 1500 but some quick research on this forum should confirm that.

Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2010 at 09:19
Coincidentally, when I bought my 03 from a private owner a few years ago, within one week, I had same repair. Fortunately, the W8 came with an extended warranty. Mileage was at 48K. Now I am at 80K and fear the TC may pop again...wish I knew the avg time a repair will last?

anyone? bueller?
Majorn View Drop Down

Quote Majorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2010 at 10:42
That should totaly depend on your driving, mine is near 110K miles and still on the original TC, running just fine.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objects in mirror will disappear faster then you expect.

Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2010 at 20:15
Why? What conditions will increase the likelihood of TC failure?
ben View Drop Down

Quote ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2010 at 22:32
Well, aggressive driving style puts more stress on transmission for sure. Also, replacing oil & filter of the gearbox doesn't do bad: I have done that twice so far.

My TC lasted more than 130,000 miles and there was nothing wrong with it but I decided to replace it anyway at the same time with the cam adjusters.

++ben
* W8 Variant -02 / 341000 kms
Majorn View Drop Down

Quote Majorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2010 at 08:58
I would guess that city driving is much more stressful for the TQ, with all the braking and acceleration, considering that many americans have problems with theres early, but you almost never hear someone having problems over here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objects in mirror will disappear faster then you expect.
 Post Reply Post Reply