The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Off-Topic Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Climate discussions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote coach_pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Climate discussions
    Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 18:24
Hey guys,

I'm sure you have heard about the climate discussions during the last weeks.

Here in Germany there are really hysterical debates around this topic. All discussions turning around carbon dioxide. Currently the cars are the problem in the discussion despite the fact, that most of the carbon dioxide is coming from the industry.

Nevertheless the government is thinking about a change in the tax politics. Currently we pay an annual car tax based on the cylinder capacity (XY euros per 100 ccm). In the future we should apparently pay a car tax based on the exhaust of carbon dioxide instead of the old solution. In my eyes we will essentially pay more than today.

What's the situation in your countries on that?

Edited by coach_pilot - 25-Feb-2007 at 00:25
Marco View Drop Down

Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2007 at 09:20
Very interesting. While motor vehicles are undoubtedly part of the problem, industry - including industrialized agriculture and commercial meat production contributes more powerfully through massive deforestation burns and methane production. Even ethanol, with its current production technology, contributes more varieties of pollutants and costs more than it prevents or saves.
But, as you may have observed over the past 6 years, the administration of this country is the handmaiden of industry. It's far easier to further squeeze the powerless - the average driver, than it is to hurt the powerful - the industrialists who then provide the financial support for the politicians.
Marco M. Pardi 2003 W8 SilverStone Grey Variant w/Sports Package, straight-thru exhaust & various extras.
Garfield View Drop Down

Quote Garfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2007 at 13:55
The politically correct and tree hugging types don't want to hear it, nor as you say do the politicians.

Even the UK governments own scientists say

"Of the greenhouse gases carbon dioxide is less of an issue for agriculture, contributing just 1% of the country’s total emissions. However, nitrous oxide and methane are significant, contributing 66 per cent and 46 per cent of the country’s emissions respectively."

but it is still the motorist who is blamed.

How much of the street lighing and external building illumination / floodlighting could be turned off.

Here in the UK a large proportion of the Urban motorways are lit and yet pedestrians etc are not allowed and cars have lights.

In rural areas such as where I live the street lights arew on all night and yet to see anyone out after midnight is a rare event, in any case why should we light up a whole town for a minority of individuals.

Oh and sorry the 'it's for security' doesn't cut it with me.

But politicians will never tackle a complex issue if they can bluff their way through and brainwash the electorate that the 'easy target' is actually the real problem because most of that electorate can't be bothered to go find out the truth.

And sorry to say this guys but the USA must take a big sharte of this - 10% of the worlds population consuming 30% or more of word resources ...

Kyoto is a joke, anyone who joins it can simply 'buy' permission to pollute anyhow. 3rd world countries are expected not to develop whilst 1st world nations decide they may comply in 10 years time with some value that is HIGHER than todays - that isn't lowering emissions in my book but perhaps I am being too logical here.

News flash boys action is needed today, a few of the scientific types I deal with say it already is to late ...

I really appreciate the work and publicity that Al Gore is giving to these issues, he really should be President - but then in real physical vote terms he should be - that's one screwed up voting system you guys in the USA use.

Al Gore = 50,999,897 votes
G W Bush = 50,456,002 votes

so naturally bush wins ... you guys might have NASA and MIT but you sure suck at mathematics.

You could say that our only options are Nuclear but even Uranium is now in short supply.

As for the renewable source proponents I'm sorry guys but none of your technologies is even close to filling the gaps in the timeframes that we need them filled, wind power is a joke and an eyesore, tidal is the same (and it has a limited life due to silting up), Geothermal is OK but only if we all use community services - requires massive investment and infrastructure changes, solar etc - oh please I checked this out and the payback period for me would be 40 years !!! too expensive to install and doesn't cover even half the requirements.
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 11:22
Originally posted by Garfield

Al Gore = 50,999,897 votes
G W Bush = 50,456,002 votes

so naturally bush wins ... you guys might have NASA and MIT but you sure suck at mathematics.

Don't even get me started. If there were no such thing as term elections (pre-FDR era) and if Bush won again, I would f**king move to Canada. I'm not even kidding. I know of quite a few people that did so after the last election. >=(
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 16:06
Well, I guess we now have "The Black Hole" over here.
Great.

The thing I liked most about the W8 Forum, as opposed to the Vortex and PassatWorld, was the level of maturity and greater emphasis on our W8s.

Edited by BlueSteW8 - 28-Feb-2007 at 02:44
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2007 at 00:06
Originally posted by BlueSteW8

Great.

Garfield View Drop Down

Quote Garfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2007 at 04:20
Errrr help an old fart out here ... I sense a hidden joke understood only by our US cousins, I think I am missing something - nope I know I am missing something - 'The Black Hole' - what does that mean? - I mean outside of the scientific references of course (and I'm not convinced by those references).
IndyW8 View Drop Down

Quote IndyW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2007 at 09:15
There's a forum on passatworld.com called "The Black Hole" where "hot button" issues like politics and religion are discussed. It's not always civil.
Garfield View Drop Down

Quote Garfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2007 at 09:28
Ah ok ... did I miss a chance to be bitchy then ... thanks for the tip.

(I can't get to PassatWorld since last night)

I tend not to frequent such forums once I know what they are - too many keyboard heroes with large ego's and small IQ's.
coach_pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote coach_pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 03:31
Originally posted by BlueSteW8

Great.

The thing I liked most about the W8 Forum, as opposed to the Vortex and PassatWorld, was the level of maturity and greater emphasis on our W8s.

You say "... was the level ...". No one enforces you to take part in this discussion, if the level is too low for you.

For me it would be interesting to learn more about the thinking of people coming from other parts of the world. If you have no opinion in this matter, it's OK. But please don't complain about the fact, that other people have one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>