Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Vague handling on my W8?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RobBentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vague handling on my W8?
    Posted: 21-Apr-2010 at 05:42
Hey All.

This is one for you mechanically minded people out there...

I am running the stock suspension on my W8, and I swear its loads worse than it used to be. The car seems to float around vaguely "on top of" the suspension. Any reasonable changes of direction at anything above 50-60mph feels pretty horrid.

Car has done 85'000 miles now. Any suggestions as to what's up? I find it hard to believe the shocks/springs are heavily worn at 85k?

Somebody suggested front control arms? Does that sound feasible.. ?

Edited by RobBentley - 21-Apr-2010 at 05:43
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2010 at 06:04
I've found the same with mine, moreso just recently, I'm on similar mileage too. I put it down to the 18" reps i've got on just now, it seems to tramline quite a bit.

*watches topic with interest*
RobBentley View Drop Down

Quote RobBentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2010 at 06:08
I'm not convinced its wheel related as I am running 18" BBS CV wheels, which are a decent quality wheel and not too heavy.
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2010 at 10:19
Yeah, i wasn't sure if it was or not, but given as they were reps they were my primary suspect, it seemed a lot more composed when on it's madras.
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2010 at 13:36
shock/springs on most vehicles have a 70-80K life span, most likely just time for replacements.

time also factors in (although not as much as mileage or the type of roads you may be driving on), even a low mile vehicle over time can affect the suspension...remember 24 hours a day 7 days a week, whether moving or not the suspension is supporting 4000 Lbs.

Edited by JimmyPringles - 21-Apr-2010 at 14:06
02passatw8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2010 at 14:42
Yea I have 105k on my stock suspension and she floats and when you hit a bump the wheel almost bobbles because the absorbers are shot. Going with coil overs in a few weeks, should be much better. I was wondering to when you know the upper or lower control arms are shot? I know how to test the lower one when the wheel is off and its in the air but is there a way to tell when driving?
tripwalking View Drop Down

Quote tripwalking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2010 at 12:27
I'm going to say shocks/struts too... how's the wear pattern on your tires?

(no, I don't have the coil overs on yet ;) )
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2010 at 12:37
On my 19's the wear pattern was horrible that was my first sign around 80k, I thought my suspension was just soft but realized no its done. Winter tires it has not affected them as much. Yea Im waiting till I get home (mid May) to put the coil overs on. You end up getting the anti corrosion spray ^^^^

Edited by 02passatw8 - 22-Apr-2010 at 12:41
tripwalking View Drop Down

Quote tripwalking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2010 at 12:41
no, I didn't even ask... it's probably wd-40 anyways ;) Just kidding, I may still paint them or just throw some clear on there.
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2010 at 12:44
Yea Im still undecided if Im going to paint them, Im wondering how resist they are to corrosion. Last thing I want is to see them rust.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>