Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedBrake upgrades!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheAutoTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake upgrades!!!
    Posted: 30-Apr-2010 at 23:53
That's for both. Blank style, premium type.
"A pedestrian is someone who thought there were a couple of gallons left in the tank." ~ Author Unknown

- Cody T.
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2010 at 00:03
That's a good price.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
Joseph View Drop Down

Quote Joseph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2010 at 09:53
Please keep us updated on your brake job! I will be needing to replace my front and rear brakes soon, so I could really use your insight on this job. Thanks!
TheAutoTech View Drop Down

Quote TheAutoTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2010 at 13:25
Mise well update!

Last Friday I got all my parts in from R1 Concepts. I ended up going with their premium blank rotors for the front and rear along with Hawk HPS pads for front and rear and a G2 black caliper paint system. The premium rotors come with powdercoated black hats and veins and zinc coating on the pad surface to prevent rust. The Hawk HPS pads speak for themselves. :P I'll get to more on the caliper paint here in a bit.

I decided to start tackling this project as I knew it would take a couple of days to do. I put the car up on jackstands last night and decided to just do one side at a time since I didn't want to rush things anyway. I had Firzlaff come over and help with removal since he wanted to. After I got the right tools with had the rotors, pads, and calipers off the vehicle pretty quickly. I pushed all of the brake fluid out of the calipers and went to work. I started by brake cleaning the sh*t out of them, then went over them with a wire brush. I then sprayed them again with brake cleaner and let them dry. The caliper paint kit I bought is an epoxy kit, meaning you need to mix the reactor with the paint. Thing that sucks is that it gives you only about 4 hours to use it and as time goes it starts to get goopy. I ended up painting the calipers and caliper stands for the front and rear. After I started doing the rear stand I realized that I was running out of paint and it was starting to get pretty goopy and tough to spread with the brush. I decided to just try and get all my parts covered for the night.

Today I went out and checked the parts. They turned out really good, but I noticed that I missed a few small spots. The brush doesn't cover extremely well and the paint is pretty thick. I ended up ordering another kit for the other size as one kit didn't have quite enough paint and I didn't have enough time to do both sides since the paint got so goopy. I went to Advance Auto today and picked up a can of Duplicolor ceramic caliper paint to fill in the spots I had missed. I just finished re-spraying all of the parts a bit ago and am happy with how it turned out. I would highly recommend doing it this way instead of trying to do the whole thing with the brush on paint. The spray helps to seal all the small holes and help to even out the glossy finish. The brush on stuff helps to create a surface for the spray to stick on to. I've done another car with just the spray and won't ever do it again as it's way too hard to get the spray alone to adhere to the caliper well and hold up. It ends up flaking away after a while. Also, I wanted to paint the pad retainer clips and the brush paint was just too hard to do it with, another place where the spray paint comes in handy. I'm just happy I went with the brushed on and sprayed on paint together as it turned out much nicer than just the brushed or sprayed alone.

I'll get some pictures later today after all the stuff dries and I start putting the rotors and such back together. I'm not feeling that well today either so progress is slowing down. Hopefully I'll have all this done by the end up the week as I don't feel like rushing it and having to repaint the calipers because of a rushed and botched job.
"A pedestrian is someone who thought there were a couple of gallons left in the tank." ~ Author Unknown

- Cody T.

Quote TheAutoTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2010 at 19:30
Just bumping this a bit.

Finished the left side brake job of painting the calipers and stands. Also, rotors and pads are installed along with some new H&R 8mm front spacers and 20mm rear spacers. Gives the car a bit of poke and looks nice.

If you guys know of any other brake upgrades I could do while I'm still here I'd appreciate it. I know there are some brake swaps that can be done but IIRC they involve either some customization or incredibly expensive parts.

Hoping to have this done by Sunday!

- Cody T.

Quote TheAutoTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2010 at 02:41
Pictures:

Right hand calipers and stands drying:

Pictures of left front assembled:

I'll snap some more pictures of the rear and get some final shots so you guys can see what they look like behind the wheels. I guess this is just a teaser. :P

- Cody T.

Quote TheAutoTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2010 at 20:42
Well, I got the brakes all bolted back on today and the wheels back on. I then took the car to work and bled the brakes thoroughly. It took me quite a while to get all the air out of the system but I was able to get it bled all the way. I refilled it first with regular Valvoline brake fluid to start the bleeding and then ended up topping it off with the Castrol GT LMA fluid. Everything seems to be sitting perfectly now. The only issue that I have now is that I need to roll the front fenders a bit so that I don't rub with the 8mm spacers. The rear is fine since the rear sits higher and has 20mm spacers. I like the poke the rear has, but I still want to bring it down a bit in the back. I'm going to get the front fenders rolled soon and will have Andy disable to the brake pad warning sensors so that I don't have to listen to the beep anymore. lol

EDIT: Pictures of the rear brake assembly being installed.

Also, while I was out today I printed off the directions and had Andy help me disable the brake pad warning sensor. Thanks again Andy for the help! Most likely I'm going to have Joe Hesselmen (DPISTORE) roll the front fenders for me to help with some more clearance. With the 8mm spacers I get a little bit of rub but nothing terrible. This will also help for when I get the coilovers installed. Most likely I'm going to go with 8mm spacers in the rear also as the 20mm spacers won't work once I lower the car since the fenders will be sitting on the wheels.

- Cody T.
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2010 at 21:37
Copy and Paste fail. Not only did you not edit here, but no one here knows who Joe is.
XeRo View Drop Down

Quote XeRo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2010 at 22:32
Why didn't you get the TT OEM BBK from ECS. It has drilled and slotted rotors.

yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2010 at 23:14
your pictures give me motion sickness.
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>