Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

UK Spec front brakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UK Spec front brakes
    Posted: 04-May-2010 at 04:49
Well, pads specifically.

I've seen listed two 'sets' of pads for the front, either the 4pad or 8pad sets.

Is there any way of telling what my car is supposed to have? I think it currently has a 4pad setup, but i'm not sure if this was put in by the previous owner, as the 8pad set looks to have the wear indicator tails on (4pad doesn't). And mine's been whinging about 'check brakes' for as long as i can remember.

Oh, and if there's any of you like brake pr0n, here's a pic of my replacement front discs ;)

Malcolm Tucker View Drop Down

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 05:45
Do you know which type of brake caliper you have? I've got the 17" wheels and the 2FN calipers which use 334mm rotors and the four pad setup. Some cars have the HP2 calipers which use 321mm rotors and are the ones that use eight brake pads per wheel.

While we're on this subject, I'm looking to replace all the disks and pads on my car and was wondering if any UK members might know a good place to get the OEM parts...
"I've got more on my plate than a spinster at a wedding"
thcbr View Drop Down

Quote thcbr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 13:44
Hi Guys!

Rob, if you check the calipers on your car you should see 2FN stamped on them, if so it's the 4 pad setup required for your car. Cool looking discs, where did you get them? Have been thinking of changing my front discs but aftermarket discs are hard to find!!

Malcolm, you'll be hard pushed to get replacement disc from anywhere other than from VW! I work in a motor factors and have been through all my suppliers catalogues looking for new discs and can't find anyone who supplies the correct size! They all seem to list 321mm as the correct size, I've contacted a few of them directly only to be told the discs are dealer part only! The pads on the other hand are the same as those used by Audi and BMW, if you want I'll send you a few part numbers for various aftermarket suppliers!
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 14:55
Discs look like they have been made by Godspeed in wales. I had them do mine before I got them upgraded. Think theye were around 400GBP if I remember right

RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 15:07
I was looking here : http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/

Found the following specs according to their site.

Rear discs
V 5 269   22 20      USR1417   £50.76 £45.68 £53.67

Front 8pad
Original Quality Pad
Redstuff Ceramic Brake Pads (Complete axle set, both wheels)       DP31328C £155.65 £140.09 £164.59

Front 4pad
Original Quality Pad
Redstuff Ceramic Brake Pads (Complete axle set, both wheels)       DP31035C £97.31 £87.58 £102.91

Rear
Original Quality Pad
Redstuff Ceramic Brake Pads (Complete axle set, both wheels)        DP3680C (G) £41.13 £37.02 £43.50

No front discs listed. Your only recourse i think is either dealer discs, or custom made. AFAIK the dealer discs are 202 each x vat, doing the math gives total price of 475 quid.
The discs i ordered were from http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/ as recommended by Rob and Dave on here (thanks guys :) they cost me 510 inc delivery, they have the measurements on file, so they take about a week to make up. The advantage is the separate bell housing, which means in the future the discs will cost less to replace.

Edited by SirRangeALot - 04-May-2010 at 21:25
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 15:34
Pretty sure UK cars are 4 pads per axle on the front. Mintex do pads if I remember right
gods_dad View Drop Down

Quote gods_dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 16:38
My front pads were 4 per axle. I got Mintex ones (MDB1746). The VW part number is 3B7698151.
Malcolm Tucker View Drop Down

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 17:04
I've been looking at brake discs and so far the only ones I can find that are 334mm diameter and 32mm thickness are ones for the BMW 750 (the E38 version). Would they fit okay or is there some VW special sauce for the OEM W8 discs?

Harry
"I've got more on my plate than a spinster at a wedding"
markw8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote markw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 18:15
VW Passat spacing is 5 x 112. I was looking at the later Audi TT 3.2 2003-2006. Seems to have the same spec disks as W8 (334mm, 32mm, 5x112 spacing and 68mm hub dia) but 5 x 100.

My calipers are 2FN 4 pad setup using Mintex MDB1746. Wear indicators from main dealer as Mintex supplied were too long. I also replaced the combined wear indicator/ABS loom as this had a fault. No more "check pads!".

VW fitted several different front disk setups and the 2FN 334mm is for European sport models only. Main dealer price is £700 for the 2 disks and the pads are £150.00 a set ouch!

You can try VW trade parts in MK 01908 625000

Edited by markw8 - 29-Jan-2011 at 00:58
W8 owner Northampton, U.K.
Passat W8 Auto, Inky Blue, SatNav, Beige Leather, Sports suspension, solar roof, parking sensors, Nokia bluetooth.

W8 - not just a light cluster for Golfs
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 20:19
I pretty sure BMW wheels are 5x120.

I dont think bolt pattern would be as much an issue, if you were perhaps thinking of running different wheels. Everything else being the right offset/spaced out properly, would be more of a concern first.

....HMMMM, now you got me thinking, as there are some OEM BMW wheels I really like & think would look cool on a VW/Passat. Swapping everything out, would save having to buy/use spacers/adapters, thus changing the offset of the wheels, & making wheels harder to fit. I wonder if this is at all possible (easily possible that is).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>