Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Window tint pics?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nukefission Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Window tint pics?
    Posted: 05-May-2010 at 11:19
I'd like to get the windows tinted on my wagon but I'm not sure what to get (brand/type of film, opacity, etc). The legal limit in VA is 50% on the front windows and 35% everywhere else. I was thinking of doing 50% on the fronts and 25-30% everywhere else.

Can anyone post pics of their tinted windows and indicate what the light transmission is for what you have? I'd really like to see some examples. Also some suggestions on what brand of film is good would be appreciated.

Thanks.
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2010 at 11:39
It's not the best picture in the world (srry) I can take another sometime if you want. Thats 35% all around (legal limit for fronts in WV but I didn't want it to be darker on the back)
I almost miss my Treg ... almost.
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
02passatw8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2010 at 11:57

13% tint. Totally illegal in NY. Looks lighter than it really is because the angle and the windshield is not tinted. That will be tinted this summer.

Edited by 02passatw8 - 05-May-2010 at 11:59
nukefission View Drop Down

Quote nukefission Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2010 at 13:19
Did you guys get dyed or metallized film? Do you know the brand?
TheAutoTech View Drop Down

Quote TheAutoTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2010 at 13:56
If they sell LLumar window tint that's what you want. There's a local guy here that does window tinting that uses that brand and it's great sh*t. I'm pretty sure most of what he uses is just the dyed stuff. Window tinting isn't something I'd recommend trying on your own either, have a professional do it that offers a lifetime guarantee against bubbling or peeling. It costs around 240 dollars to have all the windows tinted for me, which is more than fair considering the materials do it is at least 50 dollars or so. Also, I'd recommend going to someone who does hand-cut instead of computer cut as it's a much better fit.
"A pedestrian is someone who thought there were a couple of gallons left in the tank." ~ Author Unknown

- Cody T.
nukefission View Drop Down

Quote nukefission Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2010 at 14:04
This place was recommended to me by a friend: http://thetintplace.com/

You can see what he sells under the Products section. He comes on site and installs the tint by hand. There are just so many choices in terms of brand, type (dye or metallized) and other features (heat reflection, etc) that I don't know what to pick.

Edited by SirRangeALot - 05-May-2010 at 23:25
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2010 at 15:26
SolarGard HP Quantum, 28% all around... note that I have a beige interior, which absolutely does make a difference for how "light" the tint looks. Any reputable shop will likely only used metallized film, to guarantee colour consistency and longevity - no fading or turning purple! I'd recommend Solar Gard, but Llumar is very good as well.

http://solargard.com/Auto/Products

Best pics on hand...

2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)

Quote TheAutoTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2010 at 23:12
Honestly guy, find people in your area that have tint and ask them where they got it from. You need to really see it on the cars to pick for yourself. A lot of tint experts won't give their secrets away as it's the reason most of them are so damn good. They aren't going to give out you the specifics of their tint jobs because that's their livelihood. The guy I know is extremely well known in the area I live in and I've seen his tint jobs from 5 years ago that still look perfect as the day it was put on. I know he uses LLumar window tint and that after 5 years, it's still as black as the day it was installed. Also, he hand cust and offers a lifetime warranty. If it bubbles, fades, or rips he'll re-do it for you. You can tell that he really does care about the quality of his work.
"A pedestrian is someone who thought there were a couple of gallons left in the tank." ~ Author Unknown

- Cody T.
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2010 at 23:28
Yeah tint is not as easy as it looks. One of those things that you can master but will utterly ruin on your first attempt. Especially if done outside, on a windy day. Yeah that's experience talking.

I think the car color has a big effect as well, lighter cars look like the tint is darker than on darker cars. I'm quite happy with the 35%, I installed some 5% on my topaz back in the day. But that was for nefarious acts in the back seat
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....

Quote TheAutoTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2010 at 23:50
The W8 currently has 35% on it, but I want to go 15%. On a black car, the darker the better I think. ;)

- Cody T.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>