The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

W8 - fact from fiction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: W8 - fact from fiction
    Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 09:59
As I learn more about my w8, I'm trying to separate fact from fiction...hopefully, I've come to the right place...

1 - I read the W8 was mfg in an Audi plant? One comment being that the W8 is the best Audi to come out of the factory? If this is true, how much of the car is Audi? Which parts? Which Audi does it share the most with?

2 - I read that the Bugatti runs twin W8 engines? Fact or Fiction?

Any other interesting things a new W8 owner should know?

Thanks!

PS. Some of my buddies are skeptical of my decision to turn in my 04 X3 and replace with an 03 W8...so I'm just looking for more interesting dinner conversation tidbits to share!

dubya_eight View Drop Down

Quote dubya_eight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 10:23
1- The Passat is slightly longer than a A4 but shorter than an A6. It shares most mechanicals with the A4, and is considered by some a platform mate. The Passat is WAY more Audi than VW. It essentially rolls out of an Audi factory to VW for them to finish the interior, thats about it. As far as a percentage, I would guess maybe 75-80% Audi, depending on the model.

2- The Bugatti Veyron 16-4 engine is essentially 2 W8 engines mounted together and then quad turbo charged. Hence the 16 (cylinder) - 4 (turbos).
------------------------------
2003 W8
Tip
Blue Spirit / Black
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 10:28
1. Remember that VW & Audi (and Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, SEAT and Skoda) are the same company (Volkswagen AG). Somehow I doubt the Lambo forums are filled with people bragging that their engine is built by VW...

The Passat, IIRC, is only manufactured in the Emden plant (Germany). I'm not sure where the W8 engine itself may have been manufactured.

2. Yes, the Bugatti's W16 is essentially two W8 engines (plus a turbocharger attached to each of the 4 exhaust manifolds...), good for 1001hp. The W8 is basically two banks of narrow-angle (15 degree) VR4s sharing a single crank (at 72 degrees), and the W16 simply adds another W8 onto the crank (and also flattens them out a bit, at 90 degrees). Read more about the W16 engine here:
http://seriouswheels.com/cars/top-2006-Bugatti-Veyron-W16-Engine.htm

Check out this video, a clip from Top Gear, where they take the Bugatti to VW's test track for a top speed run... of 407km/h:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bqkMEjJYWs

2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
Carps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Carps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 13:24
Originally posted by dubya_eight

1- The Passat is slightly longer than a A4 but shorter than an A6. It shares most mechanicals with the A4, and is considered by some a platform mate. The Passat is WAY more Audi than VW. It essentially rolls out of an Audi factory to VW for them to finish the interior, thats about it. As far as a percentage, I would guess maybe 75-80% Audi, depending on the model.

I understood that the W8 is actually built in the Quattro plant, which is neither the Audi or VW plant. If it is in keeping with the 'proper' Audi Quattros, then the body shell is built in the regular factory, and then rolled over to Quattro GmbH for fitting out with the heavy mechanics etc...
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 13:29
What gets recorded in the VIN - the final assembly plant, or...? My VIN indicates Emden as the assembly plant (11th digit = E).
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
dubya_eight View Drop Down

Quote dubya_eight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 14:29
Originally posted by Carps

I understood that the W8 is actually built in the Quattro plant, which is neither the Audi or VW plant. If it is in keeping with the 'proper' Audi Quattros, then the body shell is built in the regular factory, and then rolled over to Quattro GmbH for fitting out with the heavy mechanics etc...

I just meant Passats in general. Not too sure about the W8 as it is a special beast. Would be interesting if they are really considered propper Quattro built cars.

As far as Lambo owners not wanting to say they have Audi/VW engines. It's my understanding that they use their own engine, and is built in house with it's own platform. They crib a lot of the mechanicals and controls for the cars from the Audi bins though.
2003 W8
Tip
Blue Spirit / Black
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 16:18
My VIN indicates Mosel ("P") as the assembly plant.
Same place my 2003 GLX 4Motion was manufactured.
Most of our parts are marked with VW in a circle, as well as 4 rings. The rear diffrential, and Torsen unit have only 4 rings.
Passats share some parts with the A4/S4 and A6/S6.
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
ThunderRoad View Drop Down

Quote ThunderRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 22:24
Thanks for all of these great answers...BTW, my 11th is also E.

Another question...

What about 4-Motion...I've read that it is Quattro?
Stymie View Drop Down

Quote Stymie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2007 at 01:20
Originally posted by fitzski

What gets recorded in the VIN - the final assembly plant, or...? My VIN indicates Emden as the assembly plant (11th digit = E).

Yes fitzski, it is the final assembly point. The 11th digit of the VIN for my car is P, which is Mosel. I also have the original window sticker which says - for this vehicle: final assembly point: Mosel, Germany.
Garfield View Drop Down

Quote Garfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2007 at 04:11
I too have heard the speculation but have no conclusive evidence.

The 5 speed auto / tiptronic gearbox is the same as a large number of the Audi range from the RS4 through the A6 / A8 / Q7 etc etc (01V series box) and it looks like the same is used in the Pheaton so I don't think any conclusions can be drawn yet on the factory of origin.

I think the final assembly plant depends on the trim levels i.e. Sat nav, beige versus black leather etc etc

By the way the beige leather (most call it cream) was only fitted between May 2002 and Oct 2003 so if you have beige leather your beast is even rarer than most.

However coz I'm a boring git I have asked VW for a definitive to these questions ...

Q1 - In which factories was the W8 produced (not just final assembly). I believe it was made partly in an Audi plant and then finished elsewhere depending on the trim - true or false. Can you confirmn the final assembly factories and reasons for the specific choices.

Q2 - In which factory was the engine produced?

Q3 - How many were sold in each country and what type i.e. Sedan or Variant.

Q4 - For how long can owners such as myself hope to be able to obtain spares or should we be stock piling them now?

I wonder if they will answer? if they do I will post.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>