The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Electronics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Sound System Upgra New SPX-17Pro SpeakersPICS@MORE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedSound System Upgra New SPX-17Pro SpeakersPICS@MORE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sound System Upgra New SPX-17Pro SpeakersPICS@MORE
    Posted: 04-Jul-2010 at 16:04
Is being a while since my last Picture post

Like some of you guys already know I upgrade to a new Radio Head Unit the Pioneer Avid Z110BT. Well as I posted in another post I was getting a low static noise from the left front speakers. So decided to upgrade speakers to the Alpine SPX-17PRO(Got 2 Sets Front and Rear Doors). Well switch out the old speakers with new ones on that side and I still had the static sound. So after long days of thinking what can I do to get that low static sound out of the car, decided to order a new Amp which I got the JL Audio HD 900/5. Well installed the new amp static noise was gone with a nice and clean sound coming from the new speakers. Here I got some installation pictures and some of the new product in the box.

Head Unit

Speakers

AMP JL AUDIO HD900/5

Speakers Installation With Crossover

Rear Door Crossove Mount
I had to cut the Black Foam in order for the Crossover to fit

Interior View
Had to modified the tweeters, Sanded the plastic around in order for them to fit.

Waiting for the last upgrade that will be a JL audio 10 inch W7 Sub.
Then I can Say I have a W7 and a W8 LOL.
Here it is.

Sorry for the low res pictures I was using cell phone Droid From Motorola.

Edited by R32Viper - 04-Jul-2010 at 16:33
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2010 at 16:34
Looks very nice.    Did you have to do any special rewiring for the front or did you just insert the new speakers into the existing wiring?
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2010 at 09:58
Thanks for the first comment with nearly 127 views without any comments.

Yes just used the existing speakers wiring. You have 2 speaker wire at each door tweeter and woofer, since this speakers system have crossover I just plugged the woofer wire to the crossover and then from the crossover to tweeter and woofer. The new wire I had to run was 4gauge amp wire from the hood to the new amp, and of course the RCA cables front the head unit to the amp. This was quite simple.

If you have any more questions feel free, happy to help.
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2010 at 13:07
Thanks for the info.

I see these speakers on eBay for $319. Is that close to what you paid?
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2010 at 14:37
Yes I paid 350.00 per set order 2 sets for the front and rear doors. I got it front sonicelectronix.com they provide you with warranty. With almost all the sound equipment for your car if you don't buy it from a authorized retailer, the company who make the item won't honor the warranty. Sonicelectronix.com covers it but instead of sending it back to alpine or whoever; you send it back to them they will replace it. Read a lot of reviews from that website before purchased from them.

Sorry it took so long to reply.
I'm waiting for the sub I will take a video and post it on YouTube so you can listen to the sound quality on the speakers.

Edited by R32Viper - 20-Aug-2010 at 13:55
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2010 at 08:40
that's a nice looking install :)

how's it sound compared to standard setup? Most places i've been looking recommend going for a single set of comps up front, then a sub in the boot, not something i've done before, i've always had fronts rears and a sub.

I'm slowly getting the bits together to do something similar in mine. Did you need to drill out the standard speakers or are they screwed in (on my lupo they're rivetted in)

Nice idea with hiding the crossovers out the way, do you have any heat problems or anthing?
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2010 at 11:27
Thanks I just got the subwoofer in and I love the sound system even more . Will post a video soon being kind up lazy lately. Well I can tell you it sounds 200% better than the standard setup and louder. Have had several people in the car and they are amazed of the sound quality of the speakers. Plus now I got Bluetooth, navigation...... all those good stuff the regular head unit doesn't have.

Before doing the install I also seen people saying to get a high end speakers on the front and just some regulars on the rear doors. I also had the new front speakers installed with the rear off during the installation since didn't had time to finish it the same day. They sounded nice but seems like something was missing, so don't think u will ever get a good sound with just the one on the front. I installed the rear a week later and it kind up completed the cabin with true sound.

Added the subwoofer and sounds even better.

The woofer or speaker are reverted in so I had to drill it out with a drill bit. Which I could had cut around the inner plastic adaptor which is part of the speaker and cut the whole speaker out in around circle. Then just place the new ones in top of that original plastic adaptor. Didn't though about that until later so I had to buy a speaker adaptor just like this ones

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SAVW6/Volkswagen-Speaker-Brackets.html?search=speaker+adapter

Then I bought a reverted gun with some reverted screws and install them.
This waffles is what u see on the pictures it protect the speakers from water and humidity.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pzSoPZWiazh/popups/accessory.asp?i=237XT652
Drilled and screwed through the speaker adaptor and aluminum panel to get a tight fit.

These crossovers are very cooled I has great amount of aluminum for maximun heat dissipation. Haven't had a single problem with them at all.

If you ever get to do the install show us some pics I want to see how everything worked out. If u planning on installing the amp let me know I take a few pics where did I runned the cables and stuff.

Edited by SirRangeALot - 25-Nov-2010 at 14:31
 Post Reply Post Reply