The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

I just spent $4200 on my '03 W8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote orangeokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I just spent $4200 on my '03 W8
    Posted: 18-Aug-2010 at 21:47
My $10,700 forty thousand mile W8 just absorbed another $4200. I took the unit in to my local VW dealer to check out an oil leak. Turns out the rear transmission seal was bad. The warranty I got with the car (3-months - 3K miles) paid for the repair with a $100 deductible. While the unit was in the shop I decided to have the 40K service done (plugs and air filter); replaced brakes due to warping; alignment (required new front end tie rods due to rust . . . this was a Chicago car); I also decide to get a 48 months 48K mile factory warranty for $2500. Gives me peace of mind for my wife who will be driving the car. I feel pretty good about the total cost of this new looking 40K mile luxury W8 German sedan. $14,900 Should be good to go for the long haul.
MRAJB View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote MRAJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2010 at 23:00
heh..I literally just got back from picking mine up at the dealer for the 80k service...... $$$$$$ Ouch.... But then I drove it home... :) :)
Looking to buy a W8 Wagon 6-Speed to haul grocceries...And I finally found one on 2-16-2008
veedub02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote veedub02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2010 at 11:00
Originally posted by MRAJB

heh..I literally just got back from picking mine up at the dealer for the 80k service...... $$$$$$ Ouch.... But then I drove it home... :) :)

Did the dealer want to do the balancer belt as part of your 80k service?
-- 2002 W8
-- 1987 BMW 325i Convertible
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2010 at 11:52
Originally posted by orangeokie

My $10,700 forty thousand mile W8 just absorbed another $4200. I took the unit in to my local VW dealer to check out an oil leak. Turns out the rear transmission seal was bad. The warranty I got with the car (3-months - 3K miles) paid for the repair with a $100 deductible. While the unit was in the shop I decided to have the 40K service done (plugs and air filter); replaced brakes due to warping; alignment (required new front end tie rods due to rust . . . this was a Chicago car); I also decide to get a 48 months 48K mile factory warranty for $2500. Gives me peace of mind for my wife who will be driving the car. I feel pretty good about the total cost of this new looking 40K mile luxury W8 German sedan. $14,900 Should be good to go for the long haul.

Your best friend is an extended warranty. Glad to hear your seal only cost $100.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
pantera1683 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote pantera1683 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2010 at 14:24
My extended warranty has paid for itself at least fourfold. Anybody who drives one of these without one is sitting on a ticking time bomb, when they break it gets expensive.
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2010 at 19:26
Originally posted by pantera1683

Anybody who drives one of these without one is sitting on a ticking time bomb, when they break it gets expensive.

I hear this all the time around here, and it doesn't apply to everyone...my old W8 is going on 3 years without a warranty and it's been fine. 95k+ miles. Even when I did have the warranty it was only used twice in three years and it wasn't for anything too serious.

I'm not denying the price of things when they DO break, however. Gotta pay to play. Guys that own S4's come to grips with this.
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
orangeokie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote orangeokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2010 at 23:18
The warranty companies wouldn't be selling them if they weren't making a profit. My decision to buy one was based on what I had read on here and the other Passat forums. I hope I don't have to use it and my W8 runs strong for the next decade. I just figured it into the price of the car and decided it was worth it in the long run. The same could be said for my '05 Touareg CPO. I haven't used the extended warranty much at all, but I sure sleep good at night knowing my wife is covered in either vehicle since I am on the road alot.
TheAutoTech View Drop Down

Quote TheAutoTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2010 at 23:53
I don't have a warranty on the W8, but this is mainly because any work that the car requires I will be doing myself. Essentially unless the motor takes a complete sh*t an aftermarket warranty won't help me too much.
"A pedestrian is someone who thought there were a couple of gallons left in the tank." ~ Author Unknown

- Cody T.
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2010 at 09:08
As long as you have access to a lift and the parts are not expensive then I guess it's fair gamble. As you know insurance is just legalized gambling. I've already had enough repairs on my W8 to pay for my extended warranty. The nice thing about the warranty is that my dealer always gives me a loaner when the car is in the shop so I am never without a car.

Good luck.

Originally posted by TheAutoTech

I don't have a warranty on the W8, but this is mainly because any work that the car requires I will be doing myself. Essentially unless the motor takes a complete sh*t an aftermarket warranty won't help me too much.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
MRAJB View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote MRAJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2010 at 13:23
I have an extended warranty until 120k. I hope I never have to use it. Having said that, I'm glad I have it.
Looking to buy a W8 Wagon 6-Speed to haul grocceries...And I finally found one on 2-16-2008
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>