The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Help looking to flush trans fluid & power steering
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedHelp looking to flush trans fluid & power steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help looking to flush trans fluid & power steering
    Posted: 20-Aug-2010 at 14:30
I have being looking for some information on how to change the transmission fluid or the power Steering fluid. But, with no luck and seems like the search bar is not working properly. Any of you have done it and will like to give me some instructions, what kind of liquid to use for it? I’m looking to do a big maintenance since I’m approaching the 67,000 miles on the w8. Serpentine belt, Fuel filter (which should have done it a long time ago) and maybe do some engine cleaning while I get the bumper and radiator out.

Since I will have to remove the radiator, any info on how to flush or change the antifreeze.

Edited by R32Viper - 20-Aug-2010 at 14:31
Malcolm Tucker View Drop Down

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2010 at 16:30
Although the details are probably different, there's a rather good guide to changing the transmission fluid on the W12 Phaeton (which also has a five speed gearbox) here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2967745

Harry

Edited by Malcolm Tucker - 20-Aug-2010 at 16:31
"I've got more on my plate than a spinster at a wedding"
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2010 at 08:02
Except that Viper has a 6MT...
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2010 at 10:35
Sorry, haven't been around here long enough to know which members have what spec cars...
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2010 at 12:07
Yeah 6MT I should have mentioned earlier. I will take a look at it, may help on something. Thanks
I know there's is at least 2 forum members who have done this kind of service before. But, guess they weren't able to post anything about it. If anybody finds any information about it please do share. I don't trust the stealership to work on the car.
TheAutoTech View Drop Down

Quote TheAutoTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2010 at 15:09
Manual trans you simply just drain and refill the fluid. As far as where the plugs are I couldn't tell you as I haven't worked on a manual trans W8. lol

As far as the power steering goes I would most likely just take it to the dealer for them to do it. There's a way you can flush the P/S but it's kind of a pain in the ass to do as you need to remove the P/S lines from the reservoir and it generally makes a good mess. Also, you run the risk of running the pump dry and damaging it. The dealership I work for has a machine that puts a cleaner into the P/S system. Then you simply turn the wheel back and forth for a bit until the system warms up. With the car running you then simply put the lines from the machine in the reservoir it it sucks the oil fluid out as it installs new fluid. I've done it both ways and find the machine to be much easier to use and makes way way less of a mess. If you've got any mechanic friends they may be able to hook you up. Most of the time the service runs around 90 dollars, most of that being the labor.
"A pedestrian is someone who thought there were a couple of gallons left in the tank." ~ Author Unknown

- Cody T.

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2010 at 17:33
This might be a bit more helpful:
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2010 at 22:42
Thanks guys is being helpfull, getting ready for next weekend to perform the work. I got a few ideas from you guys that it should work if is done the right way.
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2012 at 19:02
Finally, I have completed the transmision oil change. Not difficult, the only thing you need is the pump bottle to push the oil inside the transmition and the allen wrench to unscrew the bolts. What I did waz I measure the oil it drain out. I had a total of almost 3.1 quarts, replace it with 3.2 quarts just a little more just in case. I stock my finger on the filling point B, to see if I could feel the oil getting close. But I guess I didn't had the car 100% align and never was able to feel the oil. So left it like it was with 3.2 quarts of oil.
I used amsoil Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90.
I also own bentley manual and it says something about 2.6 quarts that u need to fill it back in.
Doesn't sound logical if you getting 3.1 out of the transmition to just fill it up with 2.6.
Don't know if the amount of oil you start with usually burn during the years. VW factory could have fill it in with 3.5 or so. Who knows.

If anybody have any info about this let me know.
 Post Reply Post Reply