The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedJust bought a W8 - check engine light came on.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just bought a W8 - check engine light came on.
    Posted: 27-Sep-2010 at 09:40
I have been reading this forum for a while researching the w8 before I bought one, and I must say it is a very fun and nice car.

So this morning I was driving to get breakfast and my check engine light came on. I've only owned the car for a week!

So my question is what is the best course of action from here? Should I take it to a mechanic for diagnosis or should I invest in equipment to diagnose the problem myself, and future problems? The thing is I am somewhat car savey but this is my first German car, how hard is it to interface with it? I guess I wouldn't know where to begin.
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2010 at 10:26
Run to an auto parts store such as O'Reilly's or Autozone; they usually have an OBD-II scanner you can borrow. It will not read all possible codes but will read the majority of the engine codes.

When you have the time and resources a Bentley shop manual and a VCDS (Vag-Com) cable are a worth while investment for any VW (IMHO).

AlBrown View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2010 at 11:48
Yeah so I went to autozone and had them check it.
Got the following codes:

P0024 -- "B" Camshaft Position - Timing over-advanced or system performance.(Bank 2)

P2181 -- Coolant system issue. Fans run at high speed for several minute when I shut the engine off.

I guess I should find a mechanic to diagnose further. I wish the car would have waited a little longer after I bought it before having issues.
GreatW8 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2010 at 14:52
Hi Al. Sorry to hear about your problems already. Your issues are common to almost every W8 built. Did you buy an extended warranty? If you haven't make sure you get a factory warranty and not some fly-by night outfit, like I unfortunately did. DO NOT I mean DO NOT buy a warranty from the "Warranty Group" out of Chicago. They denied my claim on my 2004 W8 for cam adjuster's. They claimed the failure was due to lack of proper maintenance. Which was total B.S. I even got the IL States Attorney office involved to no avail. Just beware W8's can be expensive to repair but they are awesome cars. Mine is gone now but sorely missed. Good luck!!
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2010 at 20:16
AlBrown, the best course of action is to take it back and demand them to fix the problems, which are the cam position sensors and thermostat. Those problems alone, I guarantee you, cost more than you spent on the car. I pray that you didn't buy it from a private party and that the dealer has a 30 day warranty.

Edited by squish - 27-Sep-2010 at 20:17
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
AlBrown View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2010 at 00:45
Yeah I bought an extended warranty with the car, but its just a powertrain warranty.

http://www.warrantys.com/Downloads/Brochures/PWI_AIO%20Brochure.pdf

The dealer is small time and I doubt they will do any repairs.

I am going to replace the coolant temp sensors following the guide on this forum, hopefully that will fix the fan issue. But I want to wait on the camshaft error code until I get my warranty information, so I don't get screwed over because the company might say the warranty hasn't taken affect yet. The car seems to drive fine for now.

Thanks for the advice.
Malcolm Tucker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2010 at 04:19
It could be that the cam adjuster error has occurred because the car had sat on the forecourt for a while and the adjusters got gummed up. I'd get the fault code cleared, do an oil change and try the shock treatment to the solenoids outlined in other forum posts. Providing the engine sounds okay, try driving using the tiptronic to get the engine revs high enough to start the camshaft adjusters moving. This should get some fresh oil flowing through them and hopefully loosen them up a bit more.

As for the warranty, you're quite right not to make any hasty claims. Although the warranty should cover the camshaft adjusters (since it says all internally lubricated parts are covered) warranty companies don't take kindly to claims being submitted very shortly after the policy has been taken out. Don't make a claim (or any overtures to a claim) for at least a few months and a thousand miles or so.

Harry
"I've got more on my plate than a spinster at a wedding"
unimogjohn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2010 at 08:54
Al, and after that oil change (using the proper type and grade of oil) add a can of SeaFoam. I had the death rattle two years ago, put in a can of SeaFoam and it gradually went away. Now I put in a can at every oil change of 5,000 miles. No problems since then and no codes either.
AlBrown View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2010 at 18:13
Alright, I think I will do an oil change and try the shock treatment on the cam adjusters. But how do you add seafoam exactly? I have never used it.

Also, my dealer keeps screwing me over with these aftermarket warranties. I paid for one when I bought the car only to have it denied by the company saying they won't cover my car. So the dealer found another company, the one I mentioned earlier, and now they to have responded saying they won't cover this make and model as well. Now he is attempting to get a third company to take on this car, and I imagine they too will not cover it. Anybody else run into such a problem? What kind of dealer sells 2 warranties without checking to see if the car is covered? This sucks.
unimogjohn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2010 at 18:51
Al, first, SeaFoam is available at most autoparts stores. It is a liquid. You just pour it into the oil filler, the entire can.

But if I were you I would tell the dealer to fix the problems or take the car back. I would contact the Better Business Bureau and lodge a complaint, and contact the consumer protection/affairs in your state also. Good luck. The dealer should fix the problem.    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>