Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedCooling System Code 18613 / P2181

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote veedub02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooling System Code 18613 / P2181
    Posted: 06-Oct-2010 at 11:06
Had the jet engine fan issue and MIL light yesterday. Pulled the codes and got the P0011 - Intermittent (I NEED to get around to that shock therapy) - but also got 18613 / P2181 ... as soon as I cleared it the fans immediately stopped their shenanigans.

So - has anyone had this only be one of the coolant temp senders (G62) or has it always been the thermostat?

I'd much rather go in and change those senders than do that Thermostat!

Thanks

-- 2002 W8
-- 1987 BMW 325i Convertible
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2010 at 12:19
It seems like a mixed bag of results on the fans. What I can't shake is that it always (For me) happens after a good rain. Within 2 days it quits on its own, no cel fans just go back to normal.
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
veedub02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote veedub02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2010 at 16:52
Interesting! With me, I was thinking maybe the cold snap we had - it got almost to freezing for the first time this year here in Nashville...

If the code comes back I'll swap those senders since they're cheap and I need to get back into the same area to do the shock therapy.

Thanks.
-- 2002 W8
-- 1987 BMW 325i Convertible
TheAutoTech View Drop Down

Quote TheAutoTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2010 at 22:42
I just ran into the P2181 this morning on the way to work. Fans were starting to act up beforehand but never threw a code until this morning. After clearing the code the fans are working normally again.

I started doing some diagnosing after work. I checked out the back temp sensor to start. Unplugged the sensor reads -40 C, and with the connector jumped it reads 180 C. Plugged in it seems to read the correct temperatures without any unusual jumps and the Climatronic diag seems to mimic this. Also, when unplugging the sensor the fans started running immediately. I started digging into the sensor by the radiator but ran out of time. It too started the fans on high as soon as it was disconnected also. At this point I'm fearing the worse in that it's the thermostat. I haven't noticed any coolant loss and the car seems to war up and cool down correctly and holds temperature perfectly according to the coolant temp in the cluster.
"A pedestrian is someone who thought there were a couple of gallons left in the tank." ~ Author Unknown

- Cody T.

Quote TheAutoTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2010 at 22:43
Also, I don't see any odd temp readings on the Climatronic diag either, so I'm really starting to wonder about the thermostat.
"A pedestrian is someone who thought there were a couple of gallons left in the tank." ~ Author Unknown

- Cody T.
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2010 at 23:33
Sorry to hear that Cody. I was going to say the back temp sensor was replaced just last year I want to say...hopefully it's not the thermostat...keeping my fingers crossed for you.
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2010 at 04:29
Mine intermittently plays up making me think it's the thermostat. I also noticed that the 2002 engine that I bought to put in the car has a different thermostat to mine. They must have modified the part at some point. They both have the same design, but where the cable goes into the body of the thermostat they changed it so that it unplugs. The original had a cable running straight from the thermostat to the connector at the back of the block. I also noticed that there is a rubber seal around the thermostat on the inside on one and not on the other
tripwalking View Drop Down

Quote tripwalking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2010 at 16:18
That's weird... the thermostat I replaced had a plug, and the new one I bought had a "plug-less" design - the wires are permanently attached.
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2010 at 20:12
did anybody get pictures of these?

In my mind the fans would be a logical response to the temp sensors failing and not the thermostat.

Failed temp sensor reads hot ecu responds with fans full to prevent overheating.

Trip tested the "failed" thermostat and it's the heating element that failed not the thermostat. So if the thermostat is in the closed position the fans would have no reason to run full force.

I'm wondering if there is a dis-similar metal issue with the plug of the temp senors. Seems everyone is having issues after some sort of temperature change. Tech verified that if the sensor is removed the fans run full force.

So cold-ish weather hits the semi worn wires shrink out of the connectors ecu reads fault, runs fans full force. Weather warms up metal expands ecu is cleared sensors don't fault everything is fine until the cycle repeats. This would also possibly explain why some have replaced sensors and thermostat and still had issues.

Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....

Quote TheAutoTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2010 at 23:34
An update here.

I decided to start this morning with the car in diag mode and drive it to work from a cold start. Temperature started at around 16 degrees C on a cold start and slowly warmed up by a degree each time until it got to around 77 degrees C. It stayed there for a couple miles without moving. The temp gauge in the car read 190 degrees at this time. When I looked back down it read 127 C, indicating a shorted sensor. I also noticed that when I stopped at work the fans were running at full blast. When I came back out to the car for lunch I checked the sensor again, still stuck at 127 C even though the car had been sitting for a few hours. Same thing when I went home, still stuck at 127 C.

At this point in time I'm pretty sure the G62 sensor has failed. I'm not having any issue with the car holding temperature or leaking coolant, just that the fans are running full blast. Most likely I'll just replace the G62 temp sensor at this time. I'm also debating doing a coolant flush and refilling with Pentosin since I have to drain a good majority of the coolant out.

Is the sensor near the radiator a common problem also or should I just let that one go for now?

- Cody T.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>