The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Great... What's this going to be?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great... What's this going to be?
    Posted: 05-Jan-2011 at 14:29
Originally posted by fitzski

Thanks Nate; Happy Holidays to you, too! Would be better if the W8 weren't parked... but this is not abnormal: when I had the camshaft issue, it was also over the Christmas holidays!

I will try to remove the flex plate and see what I notice.

The clatter hasn't been back, but I'm getting that rhythmic droning - as if the belt is too tight, or maybe a pulley is seizing? If it's the internals on the compressor that are fubar'd, hopefully removing the flex plate will confirm the diagnosis.

Did you end up replacing your compressor yourself?

For others interest... you can see how the compressor works (including the overload protection), on page 13 of this PDF:
Bentley SSP 271

Fitzski - haven't replaced it yet; I've just been driving without air for a long time (clutch blew, and then life happened... so actually not many miles w/o air). When I do get to it, I will be doing it myself, though. After doing the clutch alone, nothing seems impossible.
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2011 at 04:26
AC should be absolutely fine for you if you've done a clutch

It's interesting hearing about these re-calls as we don't get any of these in the UK
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2011 at 00:36
Looks like the fuel leak was a corroded crush washer. Last replacement (by the dealer) looks to have used aluminum instead of copper on one side (inlet), and one of them was in ragged shape. Copper washers on the outlet side were fine.

New filter (Made in Israel???!!! All I could get on short notice) came with copper for both sides.

Under the car and looking at the exhaust, the pancake muffler is in rough shape... Come spring, I just might have to look at an aftermarket setup.

Not sure where the replacement A/C compressor is at... haven't gotten any shipment confirmation.   
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2011 at 16:58
Compressor arrived; no issues. Dropped the car off this AM at a highly regarded VW/Audi/Porsche independent. Definitely knowledgeable about W8's, and the clutchless compressor (similar to those in many Audi's). So, at least I feel that the car is in good hands.

Hopefully hear something back next week.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
Michel View Drop Down

Quote Michel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2011 at 17:25
Hi!
I had this same problem (as seen on this Youtube video) a while ago. By reading other topics and as refered by Nathan, I think that was something to do with the camshaft timing (look for cam ajusters & solenoid valves topics).
My problem was really solved with massive treatment of Seafoam (code SF216) which I poured twice 2 quarts each time (for a total of 1 gallon) in 2 consecutive oil change. Noise penmanently dissapered! I believe that this W8 engine has serious sludge problem that cause cam ajusters and/or solenoid valves to ''freeze'' with time and cause cam timing problem. I also shifted to MOTUL SPECIFIC 507.00, 5W30. Since, motor runs a lot smooter.

You have nothing to loose - just give it a try!

Good luck!
W8-2003-270kKm, Moonrock Grey, Tiptronic, still Running well...   
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2011 at 02:18
Update...

Car is still in the shop; probably have it back by the end of the week. I've not been pushing at all, since my wife blew out her knee and has needed to drive the automatic loaner Camry anyway. Shop (RJ Motors in Ottawa) has been outstanding - very impressed, and no reluctance or hesitation to recommend them.

1. They diagnosed a bad tensioner for the serpentine belt, so replaced the tensioner (and the belt). Resolved much of the noise, but still something.
2. Still some noise, and they suspected the harmonic balancer belt and tensioner. Ordered that, had to come in from Germany, hence the major delay. On replacement, the old belt (145k km) was completely worn - no ribs left at all. So, that was probably the vibration I was feeling at ~3k rpm.
3. I stopped by today to see it (I miss my baby!), and with the car in service position, he pointed out the weeping water pump... so getting that replaced (parts alone and no extra labour).
4. He also pointed out the leaking radiator... probably OK... but definitely leaking (mmm... pink). So getting that replaced (parts alone - but OUCH!! - and no extra labour).
5. A/C compressor appears OK... but since I have the spare, I'm going to swap it out - it's an easy job now.
6. Also going to have him do a bleed (brakes/clutch) and maybe change the tranny fluid.

Car should be good as new.

I hope.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
Manowar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Manowar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2011 at 02:57
Originally posted by fitzski

Update...
4. He also pointed out the leaking radiator... probably OK... but definitely leaking (mmm... pink). So getting that replaced (parts alone - but OUCH!! - and no extra labour).

Car should be good as new.

I hope.

Stealer charged me $700US just for the rad-ouch is right.

Wish your wallet was good as new...
Manowar
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2011 at 19:59
Yeah, shop quoted $650 just for the rad itself. Dealer was the only source.

Was hoping to have a chance to hunt around for a deal elsewhere (like I was able to do for the A/C compressor), but haven't had a chance to day.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
cantw8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cantw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2011 at 04:03
Here's a radiator for around $400.00

W8 Radiator
2003 W8 Variant, 6MT, Blue Spirit Pearl / Gray

Manowar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Manowar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2011 at 20:33
Originally posted by cantw8

Here's a radiator for around $400.00

W8 Radiator

Excellent price! Almost worth buying for a spare...
Manowar
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>