The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Exterior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Aftermarket halogen Headlights? (downgrade)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jimhappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aftermarket halogen Headlights? (downgrade)
    Posted: 08-Jan-2011 at 11:53
Does anyone know if there's plug-n-play aftermarket halogen headlights for the W8? I didn't see anything in the archives about it. Online, I'm finding lots of aftermarket "passat b5.5" lights, but several of them have the 10-pin connector, whereas we have the 12-pin.

My lights are still dim after polishing, new bulbs, and having VW attempt to aim them. VW found that the levers were not responding to computer commands. After $400, they found wires under he dash that had been cut and rerouted. All they did was manually adjust the lights, (which helped a little) and quote me $4000 for a new dash harness. With the new dash harness, they could then diagnose my headlights. Then they recommended that I "just trade it in"!

I'd be happy with some plain-old fixed halogens. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2011 at 21:13
No can do. Not only are you downgrading in quality and performance, but if you're absolutely adamant about it, you will have to re-wire the harnesses completely. They make 10 --> 12 pin adapters but no 12 pin --> 10. Trust me, I did a lot of looking into this, bought a set of LED aftermarket headlights from TM Tuning, and took a huge loss reselling them after I found out it wasn't worth the hassle. You can do a search, I'm pretty sure I started the thread. It might've even been in my "build thread."

Good luck in whatever you decide!
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
MRAJB View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote MRAJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2011 at 01:20
When you guys are talking 10 or 12 pin connector, are you talking about the pin count on the back of the housing?
Looking to buy a W8 Wagon 6-Speed to haul grocceries...And I finally found one on 2-16-2008

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2011 at 22:21
Originally posted by MRAJB

When you guys are talking 10 or 12 pin connector, are you talking about the pin count on the back of the housing?

Correct.
MRAJB View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote MRAJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2011 at 23:35
Hmm....I purchased a used headlight from someoen the vortex. It has a 10 pin connector. But I got my headlight replaced under warranty..so i don't need it anymore. I guess I will put it up for-sale. Plus it won't fit my car anyway.
Looking to buy a W8 Wagon 6-Speed to haul grocceries...And I finally found one on 2-16-2008
jimhappy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jimhappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2011 at 15:46
Update:
Sorry I haven't responded. I've been out of town.

I took APART my left headlight assembly to see what was really going on in there. I found a broken adjusting screw mount (which explains the bouncing and mis-alignment. I also fount that the projector lens for the HID lights was totally shot. Instead of being a shiny silver color, it was more of a brown/gray crusty plastic (explains why the VW computer claimed they were bright enough. it just wasn't projecting). Now knowing that the lights are shot and that I need a new set, I rebuilt it by attaching the adjuster with bailing wire, and lining the lens with aluminum ductwork tape (hillbilly engineering). After putting it all back together, it's actually drivable. And that's with only one patched up light. Anyway, I'm definitely looking for a set of lights. As far as downgrading to the Halogens, I happen to have a wrecked A4 that might have the 10pin harness I would need. I'd hate to hack into my harness though.
Jim
jimhappy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jimhappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2011 at 15:47
BTW anyone know of a good place to buy new lights?

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2011 at 07:59
How did you end up taking apart the headlight if you don't mind me asking?

Originally posted by jimhappy

BTW anyone know of a good place to buy new lights?

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/headlight/volkswagen/passat.html

I would also check PassatWorld and VWVortex, they pop up there from time to time.

I used to have a few links saved in my bookmarks but my laptop took a dump and have my bookmarks on a disc until I can line up a new one. I'll updated this thread when I find them.
jimhappy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jimhappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2011 at 15:00
Thanks for the guidance.
After looking all over the place for a deal, I broke down and ordered a set from www.worldimpex.com ($390 ea plus ship = $801). Partsgeek was a close second ($822). Seems like way too much, but considering it cost $400 just to have the dealer "look" at it, I should stop messing around and be done with it.
I also ordered a new rear wiper motor. The brass washer tube had broken and washer fluid was squirting inside the door. Gotta love that design.
haktifosi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote haktifosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2011 at 03:38
my ballast is going out on my driver's side. is it possible to put an aftermarket ballast as a replacement? i saw the oem ballast on ebay for about $150, but i've read that they are not water-proof. if i use an aftermarket ballast, will that affect the auto-leveling or anything else important? i'm talking about this crazy cheapo kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-HID-BALLAST-BULBS-KIT-HID-D2R-XENON-85126-35W-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZSubmodelQ3aW8QQhashZitem255d04169fQQitemZ160474338975QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Edited by SirRangeALot - 18-Feb-2011 at 19:27
Silverstone Grey 2002 W8 Tip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>