The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Exterior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Aftermarket halogen Headlights? (downgrade)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote haktifosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aftermarket halogen Headlights? (downgrade)
    Posted: 24-Feb-2011 at 16:40
i bought the kit and installed it. it works perfectly. the dimensions of the ballasts even fit inside the ballast bracket on the housing pretty well (just had to fill in some space so it wouldn't jiggle about). i also had to cut the rubber grommet (from the original ballast) for the ballast cable hole on the bottom of the housing. now both my lights turn on all the time and they are the same color (i used 6000k, nice color and i never found the hid's that useful in really dark situations anyway, but that's what the high beams are for).

the kit came with two ballasts and two bulbs (d2s). i just ordered a d2s adapter so I can use d2s bulbs when the bulbs burn out. the kit has the bulb and cable as one piece. no big deal. ecstuning has the oem ballast for ~$542 a piece. at $36 and free shipping, even if the cheap ballast stops working, i could replace it 30 times and still save money.

i am very happy that you are able to afford two brand new headlight assemblies, if i had all the money in the world, i'd definitely buy the whole oem Bi-Xenon Complete Headlight Kit from ecstuning and do it the right way. the car deserves it.
Silverstone Grey 2002 W8 Tip
haktifosi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote haktifosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2011 at 16:55
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2011 at 19:00
Well done!!
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
jimhappy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jimhappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2011 at 22:35
I'm glad that worked out for you. Nice find.
My main problem was that the reflectors were shot and weren't projecting any light. So I kind of needed new plastics. But get this. I spent $400 per side (cheapest I could find) and it still did not come with ballasts or bulbs (not even the little marker bulbs). i had to move everything over from the old set.
jim

thedrumphil View Drop Down

Quote thedrumphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2011 at 03:47
ddmtuning.com
02 W8 Sedan Tip Reflex Silver
thedrumphil View Drop Down

Quote thedrumphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2011 at 03:50
has anyone looked at changing the projector lens? the come frosted from factory? someone correct me if im wrong.
02 W8 Sedan Tip Reflex Silver
hambone6077 View Drop Down

Quote hambone6077 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2011 at 05:41
I just bought a '03 sedan. The pass low beam doesn't come on all the time. It comes on for less than a second then goes off. I have to turn them on and off 2-3 times to get them both on. Any suggestions?
mbyoung424 View Drop Down

Quote mbyoung424 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2011 at 23:12
I have the same issue. There are a few posts in passatworld http://www.passatworld.com/forums/68-b5-garage/218516-lights-dont-work.html. It seems to be the headlight control on the dash. It's easy to replace and not too expensive if you look online, but I haven't replaced it yet.

Edited by SirRangeALot - 14-Aug-2011 at 01:09
haktifosi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote haktifosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2011 at 23:27
Originally posted by hambone6077

I just bought a '03 sedan. The pass low beam doesn't come on all the time. It comes on for less than a second then goes off. I have to turn them on and off 2-3 times to get them both on. Any suggestions?

Sounds like what happened to me. One of my low beams would not ignite immediately sometimes; I had to pull the hand brake to try and ignite the malfunctioning side. After replacing the ballasts, they work perfectly now. Before I replaced the ballasts, I tried replacing the bulbs but it still wouldn't ignite consistently.
w8Arsenal View Drop Down

Quote w8Arsenal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 14:43

Edited by SirRangeALot - 12-Aug-2012 at 17:26
W8 Badass
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12