The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedBloody Potholes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bloody Potholes
    Posted: 20-Jan-2011 at 11:45
I don't seem to have much luck with em. Thankfully this time the alloy survived.

Fast lane of the m74, southbound just north of Happendon Services, 70mph *whang*. Didn't burst the tyre and everything felt ok, but thought i'd better check it anyway, glad i did. So an hour's break in travel while i swapped the fronts to the rear with nothing but a crossbrace, widowmaker and the skinny spare. Completed the rest of the 350 mile journey without incident rather slowly. Of course it would be one of the fairly recent tyres that got damaged, still got 8mm tread on, not one of the ones that are due for replacement.

Just been down to a local tyre place who's doing me 4 new ones for £110 each fitted.
Malcolm Tucker View Drop Down

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2011 at 00:05
Don't worry, it could be worse!

I took my W8 skiing before Christmas and on the way back was making excellent progress and even managed to pick up some champers from Epernay. However, when I got back onto the motorway it started to snow heavily so I escaped to the A and B roads (snow tyres, 4motion and a W8 are a great combo ). Then, near Laon, I hit a massive snow-covered pot hole. I pulled into a big Carrefour, inspected the front tyre and heard a nasty hissing so changed it for the spare (in a blizzard!).

I was feeling very pleased with myself until I then spotted that the rear tyre on the same side was also flat...

Luckily, I'd ended up outside a Norauto shop but had to wait until the following morning to get two new tyres fitted. €566 lighter I managed to make it home by 8pm on the 24th!
"I've got more on my plate than a spinster at a wedding"
cantw8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cantw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2011 at 09:44
At least it wasn't anything like this pothole.

Sneaky Pothole

Edited by cantw8 - 21-Jan-2011 at 09:47
2003 W8 Variant, 6MT, Blue Spirit Pearl / Gray

RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2011 at 10:10
I got lucky, there was another guy at the services changing his wheel, his tyre had completely deflated. Bonus for him though, it was a company car.
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2011 at 15:17
Originally posted by cantw8

At least it wasn't anything like this pothole.

Sneaky Pothole

2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2011 at 20:23
Originally posted by Malcolm Tucker

(snow tyres, 4motion and a W8 are a great combo ).

Absolutely!
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2011 at 22:57
LOL that truck video was crazy lol. Unexpected.
 Post Reply Post Reply