Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

334mm disc replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 334mm disc replacement
    Posted: 01-Oct-2011 at 09:47
I have 2 pairs of the 334mm VW twin pot calipers, but shipping to the US would be expensive I would think due to the weight. The other thing to contend with is are the hub carrier the same between the euro cars and US cars?

The euro cars have a different spacing on the caliper carrier (i.e the gap between the bolts)
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2011 at 19:48
I have two rear calipers and carriers from a Phaeton I was hoping to put on my W8. Unfortunately, the bolt pattern for the carriers is different between the two cars.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2011 at 19:57
Yep any rear conversion needs the hub carriers drilling out to M10 as ours are M8. You also need to either take the hub carrier off to drill the holes as you can't get past the hub. Either that or grind a notch out the hub so u can get a drill past it. I will be sticking RS4 rears on mine. 324mm.
gods_dad View Drop Down

Quote gods_dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2011 at 10:52
They are on and what a massive difference!

I bought:
Drilled front SL500 discs from the Merc dealer (A1294212312)
EBC redstuff pads (DP31035C)

Here is the process for those who are interested:
(Apologies for the camera phone photos, but I forgot my digital camera)

The centre needs to be machined from 67mm to 68mm:

We cut a chamfer into it the back of the disc centre to mirror the original disc and ensure a neat fit against the hub:

We then drilled out the wheel bolt holes to 16.1mm (This is from memory so please check your originals and don’t take my word for it!):

Old and new discs:

Disc on hub and carrier mounted:

Fully rebuilt with new pads installed:

Everything bolted on just perfectly and I am very pleased with the results. As for costs:

Merc (Genuine) Front discs: £200 including tax
EBC redstuff pads (DP31035C): £100 including tax
Modifications: £50 including tax (Backhander to friend)

I was quoted £660 + 20% tax for the genuine (Solid) front VW discs and £148 + 20% tax for the genuine front pads.

I have (In my opinion) fitted better quality parts for a third of the cost so I would absolutely recommend this to anyone who is looking at replacing the front pads and discs. If you have any questions, please drop me a PM and I will try to answer.

Edited by gods_dad - 09-Oct-2011 at 12:01
Jesse-B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jesse-B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2011 at 11:38
i can't see the pics..
gods_dad View Drop Down

Quote gods_dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2011 at 12:02
Sorry, updated links and it should be working now...
Jesse-B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jesse-B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2011 at 12:03
got it! Nice!
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2011 at 14:26
Very good Tony

The only difference will be the weight and cooling of the disc as the originals have alloy bells and cooling channels round the centre, but for the cost difference there isn't any choice you would make other than fit the Merc ones

Shame it's only the guys in the UK that can run these
Malcolm Tucker View Drop Down

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2011 at 20:56
Here's my invoice from last year for the two front brake discs and the two rear ones:

"I've got more on my plate than a spinster at a wedding"
markw8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote markw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2011 at 22:37
I'm glad that people are taking advantage of this find. I used the Apec website to find the closest match to the W8 discs (search by size and you should find DSK 2735). The Mercedes cross drilled disks look great but I did notice they were heavy at 11kg each (don't drop them on your feet!).

Diameter 334mm, Width 32mm, Center 68mm, Hat Height 52mm

Apec brake search

The W8 takes some slowing from high speed so you could go through a set of discs in 50k miles or so. ETKA is very useful as you can compare part numbers between VW and Audi. I've been working on the rear calipers and I've sourced the parts from the Audi Allroad 2000>. Same part numbers as W8 and available on E-bay. I sourced the rear disks from an Audi A6 and these were the 269mm ventilated genuine Audi parts for under £50.

Edited by markw8 - 16-Oct-2011 at 22:40
W8 owner Northampton, U.K.
Passat W8 Auto, Inky Blue, SatNav, Beige Leather, Sports suspension, solar roof, parking sensors, Nokia bluetooth.

W8 - not just a light cluster for Golfs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>