Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedP0411 - Secondary air injection system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote andy.eakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P0411 - Secondary air injection system
    Posted: 05-Feb-2011 at 23:47
Hey folks

Looking for some advice before I head off to my local service centre, and try to claim for any repair on my extended warranty.

My W8 has a P0411 Secondary air injection system incorrect flow error being reported (engine warning light came on).

Has anyone got any experience of this error, the consequences of it, and the repairs necessary as a result. Any guidance as to the amount of work required?

Tips/comments very welcome.

Thanks
Andy
----
2004 Passat W8 automatic wagon
markw8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote markw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2011 at 00:15
Secondary air system - reduces the heating up phase of the catalyst.
Described in the Bentley manual section E26-5

Blows air in behind the exhaust valve for 100 secs after cold start (10 secs for warm start < 96 Deg cent)

Basically driven from the engine management J220 via a relay J299 through a solenoid valve N112.

Could be the pump, blocked/split/disconnected pipe or an electrical glitch. The OBD system checks this for each starting cycle. The crankcase ventilation system is also part of this so this gets gummed up.

W8 engine management self study

He sounds in worse condition than the pump

Edited by markw8 - 06-Feb-2011 at 00:22
W8 owner Northampton, U.K.
Passat W8 Auto, Inky Blue, SatNav, Beige Leather, Sports suspension, solar roof, parking sensors, Nokia bluetooth.

W8 - not just a light cluster for Golfs
Majorn View Drop Down

Quote Majorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2011 at 09:34
I had the same code, it was the relay that went bad, changed it and it has worked since.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objects in mirror will disappear faster then you expect.
ben View Drop Down

Quote ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2016 at 00:17
I have had SAI related issues, CELs and rough idle for a while.
After checking the hoses, I first replaced the SAI pump relay 644 (old one was 100) some time ago, but the problems continued.

Then I ordered a new SAI solenoid from Germany, part number 1K0906283A (old was 1J0906283B).
I just got it replaced today and the car idles now very smoothly - hopefully that fixed the problem for good!

Removing the solenoid was not hard though I wished I had smaller hands :-P

Here's the part diagram of W8's SAI system: http://vagpart.com/vw/passat-pa-us-2002-3b-1-050-001-13100-secondary-air-pump/

Edited by ben - 24-Apr-2016 at 01:13
* W8 Variant -02 / 341000 kms
 Post Reply Post Reply