The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum Locked03 oil cooler - coolant contamination point?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote iguana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 03 oil cooler - coolant contamination point?
    Posted: 07-Feb-2011 at 23:33
Has anyone torn their W8 oil cooler apart? I'm curious if the design has a way for coolant to get into the oil? Is there a physical route for the coolant to do that?

Searching online only gets me pictures of different VW oil coolers.
markw8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote markw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2011 at 22:28
It looks as if it has 2 circuits, Oil and Water. If the cooler is damaged, there is a potential for the 2 to mix. VW states that you should change the oil cooler if there has been a failure that leaves metal in the engine/sump. If you suspect a problem, you could remove if and check it for signs of damage. You could also "pressure check" it to see if it is leaking. A radiator repair shop should have the necessary equipment. It costs £300 for a new one 07D 117 015J.
W8 owner Northampton, U.K.
Passat W8 Auto, Inky Blue, SatNav, Beige Leather, Sports suspension, solar roof, parking sensors, Nokia bluetooth.

W8 - not just a light cluster for Golfs
iguana View Drop Down

Quote iguana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2011 at 22:40
Thanks Mark. I'm not sure if the cooler's damaged. My problems all started after temps dropped to -24f one night. My coolant has enough antifreeze to handle that, but that was the last day I drove it.

Do you know if there's a gasket in the W8 oil cooler that keeps water and oil separated or if the two fluids are in completely different sections? Just looking at it, it's a big block of Aluminum but I'll have to go look again to see how to remove it and see if I can see where the fluids go.
markw8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote markw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2011 at 23:01
Oil cooler is a sealed unit which has the oil filter attached. If the water froze in the unit then it may have fractured internally. As it is a heat exchanger though, the oil itself would help as it has a low freezing point. Removing the oil filter may be enough to see if there is water in the unit.

Edited by markw8 - 14-Feb-2011 at 23:07
W8 owner Northampton, U.K.
Passat W8 Auto, Inky Blue, SatNav, Beige Leather, Sports suspension, solar roof, parking sensors, Nokia bluetooth.

W8 - not just a light cluster for Golfs
 Post Reply Post Reply