Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedAnybody Raised their W8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody Raised their W8
    Posted: 10-Feb-2011 at 16:21
I really really need a touch more ground clearance. The roads in WV aren't exactly low rider friendly. Anybody thought about it or know somebody who has?
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2011 at 17:04
wuuuuuuuut?!

How about a skidplate instead?

Edited by fitzski - 10-Feb-2011 at 17:47
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2011 at 20:53
Originally posted by fitzski

wuuuuuuuut?!

What about coilovers?
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2011 at 23:26
Some sort of air ride system, so you could raise it up when needed, then have it low for show?
W8_4_ME! View Drop Down

Quote W8_4_ME! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2011 at 00:55
Interesting... I've looked into this a little bit. It may be possible to retrofit the air-spring setup from the old allroad if you have a wagon. From what I remember, most if not all of the strut and linkage assembly are the same part numbers as the A6.

It won't be cheap, that's for sure, but it would be pretty bad ass to be able to go from 4.x" off the ground to 8.2"
uber n00b
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2011 at 02:24
Originally posted by W8_4_ME!

Interesting... I've looked into this a little bit. It may be possible to retrofit the air-spring setup from the old allroad if you have a wagon. From what I remember, most if not all of the strut and linkage assembly are the same part numbers as the A6.

It won't be cheap, that's for sure, but it would be pretty bad ass to be able to go from 4.x" off the ground to 8.2"

Or just trade the W8 in on an Allroad...it'd be easier.
W8_4_ME! View Drop Down

Quote W8_4_ME! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2011 at 06:12
Originally posted by SirRangeALot

Or just trade the W8 in on an Allroad...it'd be easier.

LOL..

That would be too easy. I really want something unique plus I like the look of the VW way better. Someday I'll be the only kid on the block with a B6 S4 cloaked as a Passat wearing Allroad shoes
uber n00b
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2011 at 07:11
Right, well the audi system is full of gizmos and fail f u do hickeys. A company called Arnott makes repacement bags for the audi that are have a lifetime warranty.

I don't quite get the idea behind this though do you just replace the strut/shock with the airbag and whatever bracket to make it fit? Also don't know where I'd put the compressor.

Seriously looking at this though, got 6k left of taxes and the suspension is getting replaced one way or another.
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
WorthTheW8 View Drop Down

Quote WorthTheW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2011 at 15:48
Originally posted by yesimalex

Right, well the audi system is full of gizmos and fail f u do hickeys. A company called Arnott makes repacement bags for the audi that are have a lifetime warranty.

I don't quite get the idea behind this though do you just replace the strut/shock with the airbag and whatever bracket to make it fit? Also don't know where I'd put the compressor.

Yes, Arnott is the way to go for replacement air suspension parts. Lifetime warranty, and the replacement compressor and many of the other parts they sell are stamped with the same part number as the OE one which is three times the price with only 12 months/12,000 mile parts warranty.

I have a W8 Variant and an Allroad 2.7 biturbo. The only thing they seem to have in common is that they are both wagons. They are both neat cars, but the W8 will definitely eat the Allroad for lunch. The fit and finish and overall quality of the W8 is also considerably better in my opinion. The Allroad suspension has a bad stigma for being problematic, but this is no different than the quirks with the W8. The complainers of the world will tell you to stay away from both of them, but I just tell them to show me a high end car that does not need constant maintenance to keep it from crumbling away in the driveway. Most of these people have never actually seen a W8 or an Allroad and yet consider themselves "experts".

I'm with you on the ground clearance. I always have to remind myself to slow down on uneven roads when I get back into the W8 or I end up scraping the bottom on railroad tracks or anything else I can find.

The Allroad suspension is self-adjusting between 4 levels. For example:

If you start out in level 4...
at 22 MPH the system will auto drop to level 3. If you stop it will stay at level 3.
If you continue to 50MPH the system will drop to level 2. If you stop it will return to level 3.
If you continue to 80MPH the system will drop to level 1. If you stop it will return to level 3.

IMHO outfitting a W8 with the Allroad system is more trouble than it is worth, but it is fun to dream.

Here are a few links if anyone is interested in seeing what is involved:

A6/Allroad parts reference:
Allroad FAQ - General

Allroad Pneumatic Air Suspension Self-Study:
http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_243.pdf

Edited by WorthTheW8 - 18-Feb-2011 at 16:12
2003 W8 Variant, Black on Black, Tiptronic (sold 4/1/11)
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic, Atlas Gray
2001 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic, Brilliant Black
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2011 at 11:18
The allroad set up bolts straight in place on a W8. The things you will need to replace are the front top mounts as these are drilled on the audi so the bag can attach. I haven't had a chance to check the front struts to see how the lower bag is held in place so you may also need the audi struts. On the rear the assembly is the same as on our cars, but again the strut has an air feed that then goes into the bag......I think. You would be better going with a non VAG compressor and management set up as it will be far easier to manage.

But if I were you I would get understand what aditional ground clearance you need and look at either getting an additional spring plate spacer made or getting coilovers and wind them up the way as the costs will be much lower than retrofitting the allroad kit.

I will probs fit the audi kit at some point, but that will be more about going lower for shows than what you need it for.

Edited by dmcdmc - 19-Feb-2011 at 11:20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>