Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedOffset/Wheel Questions Reference Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Carps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Offset/Wheel Questions Reference Thread
    Posted: 09-Mar-2007 at 16:35
Standard off set is ET45 for the W8.
My rims are BBS Madras, which are 17" * 7.5" ET45

I am looking for a second set of rims, and have found a set of BBS RX at a reasonable price, and I like the design. They are 18" * 8.0" ET32.

Now, I am reasonably confident they will clear the caliper and the suspension arm as being ET32 they should widen the track.

The question is, how will this affect handling, will it cause excess load on any suspension/drive components, and finally, will they still be in the arches ?

Now I know the only way to know re the fitting is to try them, but I am kind of hoping someone out there may have tried this size of rim...

Cheers in advance
Andy
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2007 at 23:35
Guinea Pig time.
Does anybody know the offset on the optional VW supplied BBS VZ? They are 18s, but I don't remember the width or offset, though I think they mounted 225s...
*edit - Tirearack shows a BBS RXII in 18x8.5 as being W8 compatible, but no offset info (or RX)*

Edited by BlueSteW8 - 10-Mar-2007 at 05:39
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
Carps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Carps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 12:36
Originally posted by BlueSteW8

Guinea Pig time.
*edit - Tirearack shows a BBS RXII in 18x8.5 as being W8 compatible, but no offset info (or RX)*

After much searching... I found the RXII listed for Passat W8 with ET32. So hopefully things will be okay.

Cheers
Andy
Carps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Carps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 13:03
Odd thing though - checking the BBS website they list the RXII as fitting the W8, but not the RX - even though they are the same PCD, ET (though this isn't actually detailed on the BBS site ), and diameter - only difference being 0.5" in the width.
What's that all about ?

Edited by Carps - 10-Mar-2007 at 19:04
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 21:20
The best way to know if to put the wheel on your car. I'm not a big fan of just going by off set.

I would guess that BBS knows what they are saying. You can always confirm it by going to www.tirerack.com
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
Carps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Carps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 14:03
Oh well. I have them now, so I'll post a note with how it goes when I fit them...
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 01:03
unfortunately, it doesn't list the offset for the BBS VZ's, but it's a helpful page anayways:

http://www.4130-products.com/wheels/
VV8SLO View Drop Down

Quote VV8SLO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 16:41
Offset for all W8 rims are ET45. Be careful when buying rims, ET35 may cause the rims to "stick out" beyond the fender wells if the rim width is 8" or more. The right offset is going to be determined by a) how much wider the new rim caompared to original b) how close to fender lip do you want it to be. I am running 19 X 8 rims ET35 and 235-35-19 Nitto's. My rims actually protrude about 4-5mm outside the fender. It does not bottom out or rub. It does give the car meaner, wider stance. Definitely notice it if you park next to another A4 or Passat.

If you plan on lowering, I suggest a higher offset like ET40-45.   

Also when going to 17/18/19's, it is better to go with a P235, as it is a closer diameter to stock than the P225.
This is to minimize speedo error.
I believe the 17's on the Sport pkg take P235-45-17 tires.

I like the handling of the wider stance. It has a slight tendency to "understeer." It seems that more turn is required verses OEM. On 15MPH fwy on ramps, I can go about 45-55 miles, my exit speed about 70. Before, 40-45 was the limit with plenty of squealing from the 215's. Steering is crisper, feedback seems heavier, and the ride is definitely harder.   

Edited by VV8SLO - 22-Mar-2007 at 22:49
C. Bird
03 Blue Silver/Tip
SLO, CA
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 00:02
So will there be a chance of rubbing if I go with an 8" or wider rim with an offset of 35mm with the car lowered? Most of the wheels I've looked at on Edge Racing or TireRack has a 35mm offset.

So, would A8 Monoblocks (ET 48) work without spacers? I also found a set of BBS CH's at an offset of 50mm, but that would be too much, no?

Edited by SirRangeALot - 16-Jan-2008 at 07:28
Vincere View Drop Down

Quote Vincere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 17:37
If you only go a moderate amount on lowering, you should be fine. I have used the following combos on my Passat: 8" wide ET35 with 225/45/17, 7.5" wide ET32 same tires, 7.5" wide ET 45 same tire size with no problems. The other wheels you mentioned may not work even with spacers due to the caliper size. If you go with more than ET 45, you may rub on the suspension. I also used 8.5" wide ET35 wheels on my A4 (same front suspension as the W8) and was seriously lowered without rubbing. One of the problems with finding wheels to fit is clearing the calipers. The 8.5" ET35 wheels that I had would not go over the calipers. Many wheels won't clear the calipers even if they are wider with more offset. If you find wheels, ask if they will fit on B5 S4's as they have the same calipers and this would be a pretty good measuring stick. You are also welcome to make a trip to Omaha sometime and test fit the four sets of 17" wheels that I have. It takes about fifteen minutes to switch all four out.
2003 W8 Tip Wagon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>