The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedPossible Twin Turbo Mod for the W8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible Twin Turbo Mod for the W8
    Posted: 06-Mar-2011 at 20:27
Hello guys I was looking around youtube for the lexus IS F and seen this mod that I have mention earlier about turbos been around the exaust system. For cars who doesn't have any space under the hood.

Here it goes for those interested I believe this can become a reality if you have the money for it.

This is the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SktYAwjr2aM&NR=1

The company name is Turbonetics this is their website watch their videos they explain you how it works
http://www.turboneticsinc.com/

Edited by R32Viper - 08-Mar-2011 at 20:44
Malcolm Tucker View Drop Down

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2011 at 21:06
I'd imagine the best change you'd have for turbocharging the W8 would be to pinch the turbos from a Bentley W12:
"I've got more on my plate than a spinster at a wedding"
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2011 at 21:22
Yeah but we have a W8 not a W12 don't know how thats going to work.

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2011 at 21:53
I would imagine that you've have a greater chance of success using a turbo system that was designed for a W-configuration engine and tight engine bays than a rear-mounted turbo system (with all the disadvantages that it entails...)
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2011 at 20:05
If you have ever had a look at a W12 engine thats been stripped then you will know that the design is the same as the W8 except it has 4 extra cylinders. Even looking at that photos shows you that all the ancillaries like power steering, alternator and ac pump are the same and the serpentine belt is the same. Other parts like the cam adjusters are the same as are the rear plates that cover the timing chains.

I agree that if it ever was to be done then it would be ideal to follow the W12 route, but looking at where they are located I think the chassis legs would get in the way

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2011 at 21:28
I think the picture above is slightly deceptive since the turbo doesn't extend laterally any further than the alternator. That said, the W12 uses a 190W liquid-cooled alternator which may be slightly larger than the one on the W8.
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2011 at 21:58

Our alternators are liquid cooled as well

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2011 at 22:56
But only a piddling 120W
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2011 at 23:05
Size of casing of the alternator is the same I think, just the internals that are different. Looking at that pic again it's easy to see how many little things are the same between the engines. I now know what the bentley conrods part number is and when I take one of our blocks apart I'll be able to see if the conrods are yet another shared part

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2011 at 23:50
Here's a slightly clearer picture of the Bentley W12's turbo location:

I'd be interested to hear if the conrods are the same since, if they are, it would make me feel a bit more confident about any tweaks to the W8's output (although whether the transmission can handle it is another matter...)

While we're on the subject of bits that the W8 shares with Bentleys, here's a picture of the Arnage's brakes (and prehistoric suspension). Spot anything familiar?

Edited by Malcolm Tucker - 07-Mar-2011 at 23:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>