The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Possible Twin Turbo Mod for the W8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible Twin Turbo Mod for the W8
    Posted: 21-Mar-2012 at 08:28
Brand new engines don't come with inlet manifolds so you'd want proof that it is new. I'd also be worried if it's sitting on the sump as it puts pressure on the crankcase shell bearings. All new VW engines are generally transported on their side at an angle for this reason.

If it was new and they would ship to the UK I'd buy it for that price!!
Airspeed View Drop Down

Quote Airspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2012 at 20:01
Great discussion! I love the idea of a turbo'd W8 as well, in whatever platform.
Originally posted by AudiA4_20T

I have seriously been considering a W8 or W12 into my B6 Audi chassis and if I do the W8 it's getting turbos.

The second (and best way) to do this would be to get custom rods and pistons for the W8. Integrated Engineering could probably get something done because I'm sure the W8 rod is similar to something else in the VAG world.

I'd imagine 600whp could be achieved fairly easily.

You would use SMICs in the same configuration that the 2.7T uses

Tuning would also be fairly easy. There are plenty of guys that can tune ME7.1.1. This is old software now and a $50 ebay cable can get it done

I fully agree, however when 8 custom rods and pistons are used, you better get a stand alone as well.
Nice thing would be, a stand-alone I would be able to tune myself

Walter

Edited by Airspeed - 26-Mar-2012 at 20:05
AudiA4_20T View Drop Down

Quote AudiA4_20T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2012 at 15:08
Originally posted by Airspeed

Great discussion! I love the idea of a turbo'd W8 as well, in whatever platform.
Originally posted by AudiA4_20T

I have seriously been considering a W8 or W12 into my B6 Audi chassis and if I do the W8 it's getting turbos.

The second (and best way) to do this would be to get custom rods and pistons for the W8. Integrated Engineering could probably get something done because I'm sure the W8 rod is similar to something else in the VAG world.

I'd imagine 600whp could be achieved fairly easily.

You would use SMICs in the same configuration that the 2.7T uses

Tuning would also be fairly easy. There are plenty of guys that can tune ME7.1.1. This is old software now and a $50 ebay cable can get it done

I fully agree, however when 8 custom rods and pistons are used, you better get a stand alone as well.
Nice thing would be, a stand-alone I would be able to tune myself

Walter

Well I think I'm going to use some compression dropping HGs for now. This project is going to start in a few months. I'll be tossing this setup in stock for now to a B6 A4 Cabrio
- 04 S4 2.7T
Airspeed View Drop Down

Quote Airspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2012 at 18:29
Are such things as (must be custom) thicker head gaskets for a niche engine like the W8?
Forged dished pistons would get you both lower CR and a stronger piston, but more $$ I agree.
Seeing that most W8 problem engines are rod (bearings) related, I would not easily tune the W8 without upgrading it first, especially when you (turbo) charge it.

Just thinking out loud
AudiA4_20T View Drop Down

Quote AudiA4_20T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2012 at 20:17
Originally posted by Airspeed

Are such things as (must be custom) thicker head gaskets for a niche engine like the W8?
Forged dished pistons would get you both lower CR and a stronger piston, but more $$ I agree.
Seeing that most W8 problem engines are rod (bearings) related, I would not easily tune the W8 without upgrading it first, especially when you (turbo) charge it.

Just thinking out loud

Understood. I'd like to get one apart and measure things, I'm sure there are available pieces from the VR6 and other VAG motors. They love to use parts across many cars.
- 04 S4 2.7T
Krieger03W8 View Drop Down

Quote Krieger03W8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2012 at 18:27
Yeah I have thought about this on so many occasions while quickly cruising down a back country roads in mine. . . How great it would be to have an extra 150hp and possible another 100lb ft under my right foot. Not to mention the additional acoustic benefits as you roll into it coming out of a hard turn. . . Driving heaven.

While the best I can tell as with any turbo build there are a lot of concerns to address along the way and one thing no one has brought up yet is the fuel delivery system that would be required to support the extra fuel needed for forced induction.

I wonder once you figure out what turbos to use, where and how to fabricate a manifold, make it all fit, plumb every thing, and make sure you can keep your motor and air charge cool. Is the stock fuel delivery system even with tuning going to be able to keep pace with the already thirsty W8.

I would imagine that the fuel pump and injectors in the fore mentioned W12 Bentley Continental GT provide a higher rate of flow under full throttle so would they be able to be used for our application? It is a shame I don't know any one wealthy enough to own a Continental GT nor any one how has wrecked theirs. . . The problem is having access to the spare parts and equipment to try to resolve these issues and make every thing work together.

Then for those of us with a Tip transmission. . . Well that'd be another whole can of worms.
Krieger03W8
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2012 at 18:50
One thought I'd had is how the Veyron had 4 turbos on a W16, so 1 turbo for 4 cyls, and if you look at the exhaust manifold it looks like it might bolt up to a W8 (since one manifold is for 4 cyls, which is what we'd need). I still don't think there would be room for a turbo where a Veyron manifold would place it, but maybe room can be made... with HEAVY modifications to the engine bay and frame. Not to mention I bet finding that exhaust manifold would be outrageous.
Airspeed View Drop Down

Quote Airspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2012 at 19:01
Upgrading to a larger/better fuel pump (Bosche 044), lines (-06) and injectors (take your pick), is very easy compared to 'the rest' of the build. Assumming you go right to an aftermarket ecu to begin with. How and if you can retain your comfort items that are tied into the stock ecu, I dunno what you could retain though..

The non-easy part (imo) would be that you 'need' better rods and pistons as the rods and/or rod bearings are borderline to begin with.
Custom parts times 8 (8 pistons, 8 rods) is going to add up, but as any build should probably start with an engine rebuild, it is costly already.

I am still not sure what makes the rod bearings go so easily. Is it the construction or the quality of the tiny rods or is there an oiling problem? Maybe only from overevving or hard cornering? I dunno, but if you know that, building a better engine more suited for performance could last a long time. Usually the outright extra hp is not a problem for most stock parts.
MRAJB View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote MRAJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 23:36
I am by no mean a mechanic or know much about turbo's...but what about a small amount of boost? Maybe 30-50hp increase? Would we really need to replace the internal for that?
Looking to buy a W8 Wagon 6-Speed to haul grocceries...And I finally found one on 2-16-2008
Airspeed View Drop Down

Quote Airspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2012 at 09:03
No, probably not, but to convert to turbo properly, i.e. making sure the 50 hp works well and not do more harm then good, still a pretty large effort must be undertaken on supporting modifications. It would seem a waste staying just at +30-50hp then.
500-550 hp would be VERY easy to attain with a regular but complete (intercooler) turbo set-up at 15 psi of boost and 400hp with just 7 psi. You would need most all surrounding supporting mods for both though if you want anything reliable...

Edited by Airspeed - 30-May-2012 at 09:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>