The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedPossible Twin Turbo Mod for the W8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible Twin Turbo Mod for the W8
    Posted: 30-May-2012 at 09:50
im suprised no one has mentioned a supercharger .. there is the kind that will require a new hood and then there is the kind that looks like a turbo that could be mounted in the airbox location... and run via shaft or belt :)
poop
Airspeed View Drop Down

Quote Airspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2012 at 09:58
You mean a Rotrex?
Yes, those are neat, but nobody is gonna do that either is my guess..
It would still require fuel and ecu upgrades and some form of intercooling or water/meth injection would still be wise for anything boosted.
The effort is still not gonna be much less wth a supercharger or rotrex imo.
vdubnluvn View Drop Down

Quote vdubnluvn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2012 at 16:04
i heard there was this crazy guy in the states that twin rear mount turbo'ed his w8 wagon.
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2012 at 19:31
All the details of the twin turbo are posted on another thread. I've said all along and posted many times saying that supercharging is the best option because of space in the engine bay and the natural limitations of the power the engine can take. Turbos on a W8 can only be located remotely (unlike Bentley W12 or Veyron). Power output capability based on Bentley is under 400bhp and on Veyron is 500bhp and they defo have different rods and shells which can't be purchased so your looking at custom ones and lots of money.
Airspeed View Drop Down

Quote Airspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2012 at 19:56
I would love to know whats different on the Veyron/(Bentley?) with regard to oiling, as that seems to be the first thing to go wrong even on stock cars.
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2012 at 20:10
Con rods are a totally different part number as I've checked the bentley ones. Look the same, but turbo cars have Titanium rods I think. Cam adjusters and oil pump are all similar design and all have sprayers for the underside of the pistons....whether they are greater size etc I don;t know as never taken a W12 to bits.....only W8's
Airspeed View Drop Down

Quote Airspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2012 at 20:34
Yeah, I know 4sure the Veyron has Ti rods and better pistons, but the oil pan and oil pick-up surely are better on cars cornering that much stronger?
The rod bearing failures on W8's seem much more oil delivery related then anything else imo. For pure strength, I'am sure the stock rods go a long way, more then most think.

I would suspect dry-sump on Veyron but I really dunno. Curieus though..
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2012 at 20:36
W12 in the Audi is dry sump
Airspeed View Drop Down

Quote Airspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2012 at 21:01
Originally posted by dmcdmc

W12 in the Audi is dry sump

Cool! makes sense too. tnx.
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2012 at 09:25
i think when i get another car for comuting etc i am going to buy a caterham kit car and power it usign the w8 and a 6 speed with 4wd :) .. with lockking difs :)
poop
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567