Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Electronics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

ABS/ESP ECU reprogramming.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mperew8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ABS/ESP ECU reprogramming.
    Posted: 09-Mar-2011 at 20:06
So I just replaced my ABS module the other day and the lights are still on. I did a little research online and found that after replacing the 5.7 often times it needs to be reprogrammed. Here is the new issue, the normal VW indy I see wasn't in his shop today for my appointment so I called another place and he doesn't know how to do it ( he does euro auto in general but mostly Volvo and MB. ) Does any one have step by step instructions as to what needs to be reset for this to be corrected? If its any help he is using a snap-on dia/programming tool, that from what I'm to understand can do any thing need as long as it does not need to link to VW ( like reprogramming keys.)
veedub02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote veedub02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2011 at 23:24
I just replaced my module - got on on ebay from a wrecked W8 - cleared the codes and I got a 'control module incorrectly coded' code immediately.

So - i went through the login and recode process on the ross-tech wiki site, and then the steering angle sensor issue comes up - apparently you have to go through the Basic Setting Calibration after recoding.

I'm pretty sure I got the numbers right for the recode - I didn't get any errors there - but the freeware vag-com won't do the basic settings piece.

Here's the numbers I figured out for the login and recode:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Passat_%283B%29_Brake_Electronics_%28Bosch_5.7%29

LOGIN:
    0?xxx: Chassis
        8 = VW Passat W8
        9 = VW Passat
    0x?xx: Brakes
        3 = (PR-1LT/1LF)
        4 = (PR-1LC/1LX/1ZF/1LZ/1ZG)
        5 = (PR-1LB/1LE/1ZC)
        6 = (PR-1LZ/1ZJ)
    0xx?x: Engine
        5 = (PR-T5X/T4N/T9J*/T6T/T1K/T1E/T7F*) (* with Brakes: PR-1LB/1LE/1ZC)
        7 = (PR-T0B/T10/T6V/T0D/T0F)
        9 = (PR-T7F/T9H/T9J)
    0xxx?: Transmission
        5 = Manual (PR-G0C/G0K/G0G/G0L)
        7 = Automatic (PR-G0E/G0F/G0Q)

Login - 08497 (Brakes 1ZG, Engine T9H, Tranny G0Q)

CODING:

0?xxx: Chassis
        4 = VW Passat
        5 = VW Passat W8
    0x?xx: Brakes
        1 = (PR-1LZ/1ZJ)
        2 = (PR-1LB/1LE/1ZC)
        3 = (PR-1LC/1LX/1ZF/1LZ/1ZG)
        4 = (PR-1LT/1LF)
    0xx?x: Engine
        5 = (PR-T5X/T4N/T9J*/T6T/T1K/T1E/T7F*) (* with Brakes: PR-1LB/1LE/1ZC)
        7 = (PR-T0B/T10/T6V/T0D/T0F)
        9 = (PR-T7F/T9H/T9J)
    0xxx?: Transmission
        5 = Manual (PR-G0C/G0K/G0G/G0L)
        7 = Automatic (PR-G0E/G0F/G0Q)

CODE: 05397 (same as above for PR Codes)

All this worked. Then the Steering angle sensor code came up.

If there's a way to do the steering angle sensor without a vag-com, please let me know! Or - if anyone around Nashville, TN has a licensed vag-com and likes beer or pizza - let me know!

Thanks!
-- 2002 W8
-- 1987 BMW 325i Convertible
mperew8 View Drop Down

Quote mperew8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2011 at 05:04
I'm taking this to my Indy Wednesday to see I'm going to go over it with him again and see if we can get it done this time, by doing what you just said. He has the actual vag=com, however this is his first W8, most of his work is with TDI's. Hopefully if this works my next step will be the fuel filter, brake pad sensor and then the car will be fully brought back to life. That is for the next 10K or so until I have to do a timing chair service oh the joys of a W8, the car is just lucky its pure joy to sit behind the wheel of it.

-2004 W8 6spd Silverstone Grey.
veedub02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote veedub02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2011 at 22:17
good luck - I'll let you know when I hear back from Ross-Tech and if I try it myself.

(I sent them a message asking if that's how the freeware works vs. the registered version)

Edited by veedub02 - 10-Apr-2011 at 22:18
-- 2002 W8
mperew8 View Drop Down

Quote mperew8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2011 at 03:23
On vortex I asked them about this issue and they just told me to have who ever owns the registered cable to call them. They are not eager to help any one until you prove that registered cable, even if it is just clarification something they already published online. In my case its not that I'm trying to use an unregistered cable, but rather my mechanic is using his, however he will charge me for his time if he sits on the phone talking to them, given that I'd rather look up as much of the answer as I can before and save a few bucks.

veedub02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote veedub02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2011 at 17:13
Interesting - I sent an email to the sales address and they replied this morning with this:

Good news for me - I am planning to buy the license this week.

<SNIP>

Hello,

Yes, The basic setting function is needed to make the code "stick".

A license for VCDS-Lite can be purchased through our webstore for 99.00:

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCDSLiteReg.html

Best Regards,
Santos

</SNIP>
-- 2002 W8
mperew8 View Drop Down

Quote mperew8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2011 at 20:48
That's good let me know how the reprogramming goes and exactly what you did to make it work

veedub02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote veedub02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2011 at 22:42
Okay - I got my registration file today and ran right out to the car to try out the process ...

and

So far, it worked!

I went through all the steps, including the Basic Settings portion -

your login and recode numbers may differ from mine - so you may have to dig through the sticker in the spare tire well to get your numbers.

once the login and recode are done as per the website, then go to the

Basic Settings:

That threw me off for a second - there's another button in Basic Settings called [Meas. Blocks - 08] - press that button, then go to group 5 and get the steering wheel to exactly 0.0% and then click DONE.

Then click login again but use this code: 40168 ... click [Do it!]

Then Basic Settings again and do Group 0001 this time.

This one was a little weird - i couldn't click 'go' right away... i had to go up and down on the arrows and then i could click go.

Then click [Done, Go Back] and check for fault codes - there shouldn't be any.

Then I closed the controller and went back in to check if it stored - and it did!

There was a fault code, though - something about a system check. I disconnected the cable and went for a short drive - the lights stayed on for a minute or so - the ESP light went off almost as soon as the car started moving.. .the ABS light took a bit longer to go out.

I have about a 10 mile drive home from work on wet rainy roads, so I'll let you know if the lights stay off.

-- 2002 W8
mperew8 View Drop Down

Quote mperew8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2011 at 01:37
Great to hear it worked my indy just got mine working finally, its funny he said almost word for word what you did, this probley a good form to put in the diy section.

veedub02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote veedub02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2011 at 05:46
Glad to hear yours is working now too!
-- 2002 W8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>