The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Replacing motor mounts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing motor mounts
    Posted: 04-Sep-2011 at 12:10
Anybody have any idea how to replace the motor mounts. If anyone has the bentley manual and have any information there will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2011 at 02:18
There is nothing in the Bentley concerning motor mounts (for the W8, V6, or 1.8T).

It is actually though, in a special "W8 only" manual that went out to VW shops only. The W8's got special shop manuals on this, because unlike the 1.8T & V6 motor mounts (also liquid filled), ours have vacuum lines running to them, just like the Phaeton or Audi A8's. The vacuum lines I am told, are simply there for eliminating a rough idle on cold starts, that's it, no other function. Just some BS "luxury" function, which is why I am replacing mine with solid mounts from 034MotorSports. I can live with a little bit of a rough idle on a cold start, not to mention gain a little extra performance out of my W8 with the solid mounts.

I am currently waiting to get mine done (didn't feel like tackling it myself), by a VW tech in my area, who knows the W8's real well, and does some work on the side. Unfortunately for me he, decided to go on a 2 week vacation recently, so now me and my W8 sit....waiting.

Hopefully down the road I will be doing the tranny mounts (034MotorSports) too. Sure may make the car vibrate a bit more, but it sure will take all the slop out of the drive-train, and throw it back down to the ground. Seeing as how we all cant do much as far as MODS to our W8's go, this seems to me like the next best thing.

Edited by JimmyPringles - 06-Sep-2011 at 02:27
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2011 at 12:25
Almost bought the bentley manual, thanks you for verifying there is anything there that shows how to change the engine mount and transmition. Well I'm stock with the original engine mounts I got them from 1stvwparts they had it cheaper than the dealers.

I'm just not sure where to start with them or what method to use to replace them.

Will keep waiting until I find any information on how they are replace.
Then will post some pics on how is done. When I change mine out.

Thanks for the info Jimmy

Edited by R32Viper - 10-Sep-2011 at 12:26
veedub02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote veedub02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2011 at 16:48
From under the car, the mounts didn't look like they'd be much different than the other B5.5 cars. (Other than the vacuum lines) I found a couple links here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2696241-DIY-034-Motorsport-Tranny-Mount-Replace-Mount

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b5/motor-mount-leaking-red.htm

My mounts looked good, so I don't have to do this - my Snub mount is completely toast, though, so I get to do that one. Service Position here I come! At least the snub mount is only 16 bucks over at ECS Tuning.

Edited by SirRangeALot - 13-Sep-2011 at 02:32
-- 2002 W8
-- 1987 BMW 325i Convertible
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2011 at 15:34
Thanks nice found, but damm don't look as easy I though it was going to be. I may replace the one from the transmition first.

Man that engine mount replacement looks a pain in the B..........
veedub02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote veedub02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2011 at 16:33
Yeah, I'm hoping my issue is just the snub mount. I'm going to replace the serpentine (ribbed) belt while I've got the car in service position, so I'll at least get two things done for having to go through all that.
-- 2002 W8

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2011 at 09:28
Well finally got my motor mounts & snub mount replaced with the 034motorSport "street density" solid mounts & urethane snub mount, and the difference is night and day.

There is definitely more noticeable throttle response & acceleration now when I hit the gas pedal, pretty much instantaneous. Tremendous difference over the the stock OEM liquid filled "mush" mounts.

...and in my true opinion, there is no noticeable "vibration" difference, in the drive-ability & comfort of the ride, which is a concern for some people.

I think it is definately a worth while modification/upgrade to the W8 (especially if you have a blown/"bleeding" mount), seeing as there is not a hell of a lot we can do to our rides/engine. Taking out all the drive-train slop is the next best thing. Makes me really want to do the transmission mounts now too.

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2011 at 09:39
Originally posted by veedub02

From under the car, the mounts didn't look like they'd be much different than the other B5.5 cars. (Other than the vacuum lines) I found a couple links here:

My friend who did mine, said the job is no different than having to do the mounts on a V6 Passat (which is still a bit of a PIA), the sub frame had to be dropped, more so for the passenger side than the drivers. The V6 and W8 take up relatively the same space under the hood. The 1.8T's for obvious reasons are a lot easier to do.

Originally posted by veedub02

Snub mount is completely toast, though, so I get to do that one.

Again, my friend who did mine, and is a head VW Tech said my snub mount was shot (even though I only have 35k miles). He said the rubber used in the factory OEM snub mounts is sh*t, and just deteriorate over time regardless of mileage. Our 2002-2004 W8 models, are now 7-9 years old.
So probably a good idea, to at least do your snub mount.
veedub02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote veedub02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2011 at 18:27
Originally posted by JimmyPringles

Again, my friend who did mine, and is a head VW Tech said my snub mount was shot (even though I only have 35k miles). He said the rubber used in the factory OEM snub mounts is sh*t, and just deteriorate over time regardless of mileage. Our 2002-2004 W8 models, are now 7-9 years old.
So probably a good idea, to at least do your snub mount.

Do you think the snub mount going out could cause the clunk I feel on a somewhat quick acceleration from stop?

Are there mounts for the rear differential/etc?
-- 2002 W8

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2011 at 07:11
Yes that could possibly be a huge cause.

here's a link to the page the motor mounts are on:

034MotorSport Motor Mounts

Our W8's use the same set up/mounts that they have listed for the B5's (all). For snub mount & bracket, what was used was the B5 S4 bracket & bushing.

When I was placing my order & discussing/asking things with sale rep over the phone, asked about product & anything concerning the rear of W8/4motion. He stated/mentioned that anything they have for Audi's with "Quattro" in our year range, would be the same for 4Motion, as it is the same system, so there is probably quite a few things that would match up. Would just have to do a little homework cross referencing parts/part#'s to make sure you are matching things properly.

Here is link for the rear diff mount, that includes B5/5.5 4Motion Passats:
Rear Diff Mount

...this will probably be the next thing I get, along with tranny mounts.

Edited by JimmyPringles - 20-Oct-2011 at 07:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>