The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedHow to check if my Engine was replaced

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jesse-B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to check if my Engine was replaced
    Posted: 14-Oct-2011 at 00:07
So just recently got my W8 Wagon. it has 87,000 miles. I runs like a dream. The only thin wrong with it is it has a Dent on the hood, and the passengers headlight assy. does not look like it was installed correctly. to much gap between the hood and the assy.

My question is? How can I check the engine to see if it was replaced? It looks very clean. And when I test drove the car, the dealer hadn't had a chance to detail it or anything. Looks like the front of the car has been taken apart.

any way to tell for sure?
They told me not to get one! I did it anyway!
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2011 at 05:07
If you take it to an auto body shop they should be able to tell you if any of the front facia was replaced. As for the engine, perhaps if you remove the belly pan and look underneath the engine at the seals, I would expect a new one to look very clean.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2011 at 15:10
Doesn't NHTSA mandate that the engine have the VIN stamped on it? Not sure where, though...
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
Malcolm Tucker View Drop Down

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2011 at 15:48
If you have a VAG-COM you can check that the VIN supplied by the ECU matches the car's.
"I've got more on my plate than a spinster at a wedding"
quattrorules View Drop Down

Quote quattrorules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2011 at 04:29
Just remember that a lot of service work requires that the front end be removed from the car, it just might not have been reinstalled properly after a service procedure.
Michael
Petrol Pearl 03 Wagon
Jesse-B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jesse-B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2011 at 04:31
yea that is what i am thinking. it just looks like the headlight wasn't installed correctly.
They told me not to get one! I did it anyway!
 Post Reply Post Reply