Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedLoud Fan Noise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hashbrownn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loud Fan Noise
    Posted: 31-Oct-2011 at 15:16
I started hearing my Fan yesterday.
It's very LOUD.
My guess is a fan clutch or the bearing.
Sounds like it's the radiator fan.
It stayed on for a while after my highway driving.
Any ideas? Do I replace the whole unit?
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2011 at 15:36
Did it stay on after the car was off?

Well assuming that is what you meant by after your highway driving.

It's not the fan, you have a temp sensor that is reporting a fault. This causes the radiator fan to run full force to prevent the car from overheating. Of course, it's just a bad sensor and your car isn't overheating.

Within the next couple of day's you'll get a CEL that will confirm this. something like "Cooling System Performance Error". This all relates to the two temp sensors on the engine, one off the radiator and one on the back of the block.

There are a ton of threads about the issue, however nobody seems to have "fixed" it reliably. That being said I have my doubts that anything is wrong with the sensor and that in fact there is a short in the wiring somewhere. If I had to take a guess, I'd say your car has been in the rain for a day or so, and the fan started after that.

It seems the ecu records X number of faults before engaging the always on fail safe. When you clear the codes you reset the counter. If the sensor had truly failed the fans would come on again almost instantly as the "intermittent" failure would be constant. That being said, the failure is intermittent and seems to be tied to rain. Ergo, somewhere a wire is getting wet, and shorting to ground. Once the wire dries out, the problem goes away. If said wire could be located I wonder if a can of Wire dryer would benefit it's performance any. This is all a theory of course.

Mine started to act up 6 days ago after a week of rain, I got the code and cleared it once, but it rained again and now the fans are on. Once you clear the code the fans shut off.

Edited by yesimalex - 31-Oct-2011 at 15:47
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2011 at 15:50
Sounds like you need ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) sensors. Alex probably thinks the same...one symptom is that the fans run on after the car is turned off. Another is that you'll sometimes get a CEL code that translates to "Engine temp too low."

Check this thread:

http://www.w8forum.dk/forum_posts.asp?TID=896&title=diy--replacing-coolant-temp-sensors

There are two in the car, one that's easy to get to and another that's a bit of a pain. I just did this job myself for exactly the same reason.
'03 Variant MT6 Sport Package
'91 Mazda MX-5 "Miata", supercharged
Hashbrownn View Drop Down

Quote Hashbrownn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2011 at 22:13

Here is video of what my fan sounds like..
Sounds like a fan from hell.

Loud Fan

Edited by Hashbrownn - 31-Oct-2011 at 22:14
2003 W8 Sedan Tiptronic, 2012 Ford Edge
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2011 at 23:16
Alright, so thats a temp sensor issue. Repeat nothing wrong with your fan. It's fine. That is just what they sound like running at 100% Pretty f**king beastly huh?

My car sounds exactly like that right now. I personally have grown to like the "VAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWRROOOOOAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssshhhhh" as it slowly descends into slumber when I park it.

For whatever reason, and I'm sure there is one, you will notice it idle rougher when the CEL does kick on. Not sure what happens, but I'm sure it's a limp home mode setting kicking in. But don't panic, it'll happen, and once it does if you clear the code the fans will shut off.

In the mean time tell people it's a gas/jet hybrid, very rare.

Edited by yesimalex - 31-Oct-2011 at 23:21
Turbo DIY
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2011 at 04:18
I think if one were to put an air skirt around the car, you could use it as a hovercraft when the fans are going full blast.
'03 Variant MT6 Sport Package
'91 Mazda MX-5 "Miata", supercharged
Hashbrownn View Drop Down

Quote Hashbrownn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2011 at 14:25
hahaha you guys are too funny.

I haven't driven the Passat since I had the Super Hovercraft fan issue. Here is my question though, I don't have a Check Engine Light yet. So why is the fan acting up?
2003 W8 Sedan Tiptronic, 2012 Ford Edge
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2011 at 14:47
The ecu only fires the cel after X number of fault codes from the sensors, you just haven't hit the limit yet.

Temp sensor fault -> ECU engages fans full force as fail safe begins counting faults -> X number of faults ECU engages CEL light and stores code. Usually takes about 3 days of driving before the cel comes on for me, so I'm guessing about 200+ miles you'll get a CEL. When that happens go to advance or wherever and clear the code. Hopefully it'll stay dry a while!
Turbo DIY
jroli View Drop Down

Quote jroli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2011 at 06:33
Hey guys,

having the same issue with the cooling fan.

changed out the cts' and it is still loud. could it be a thermostat issue? ive noticed that ive never seen the smaller passenger side fan kick on, even with the a/c on . could this be affecting it?

2003 VW Passat W8 4Motion
jroli View Drop Down

Quote jroli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2011 at 21:56
Also, the only CEL code I have is p1281.
2003 VW Passat W8 4Motion
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>