Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Recommended service for 75k on clock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote diggernz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommended service for 75k on clock
    Posted: 17-Nov-2011 at 22:00
Hi All,
I purchased a W8 2006 Sedan with 75k on the clock several months ago. As this has come to New Zealand from Japan, I have no history on the car..

When purchasing the car, I was told that the car had a full service done.

There was a knocking sound coming from the car when turning. This ended up being cv joint related and was repaired. Seems the other side is also now making the same sound so I will book in for repairs.

Just wondering what else I should be looking to get serviced at this stage taking into consideration the number of kilometres on the clock?

I am unsure what has been replaced in the past.
Is there any way I can find out if the TC has been replaced / serviced?

What would you recommend?

Also, the mechanic said that no need to change oil every 5k. More like 10k. However the experience of this forum seems to advise 5k. Can you please advise?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel
W8 2006, Black, Sedan, 75k
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2011 at 02:02
Originally posted by diggernz

Also, the mechanic said that no need to change oil every 5k. More like 10k. However the experience of this forum seems to advise 5k. Can you please advise?

So...even though you've read on this forum that 5k miles is a good interval for oil changes, you're asking anyway?

When I owned mine I changed it every 5k. I always thought 10k was ridiculous; to me you're just asking for something to go wrong especially with a rare car. But to each their own, fairly sure there's been an argument or three about this. It's pretty much up to you. But if it were my W8, or if I ever owned another one, 5k is the magic number for me.

Welcome aboard. Post some pics of your W8 in the pics thread in the 'General Discussion' section if you get a chance!
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2011 at 04:59
I think the best logic here is that while the OIL could last 10k miles, the filter will be shot by then. Do with that what you will.
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
MrZxp View Drop Down

Quote MrZxp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2011 at 05:39
Guys - we are talking metric here - 5000 miles is around 8000 kilometres . I personally change my oil and filter every 10000 km, I reckon that is OK.

When I got my W8 (ex Japan) it had 73000km on the clock, and needed a rear gearbox seal and right front upper suspension bush replaced. No probs with CV joints yet, so I guess it is just the luck of the draw regarding any repairs needed/problems likely at this age/stage of the cars life...

Edited by MrZxp - 18-Nov-2011 at 05:47
2002 Silver W8
allaheadfull View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote allaheadfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2011 at 16:34
I've had my W8 for 9 months now, and had the oil changed straight away, since then I have done 20,000 miles and have changed the oil 3 times, to give you some idea, no other problems yet, apart from tyres and the aircon....
2002 W8 Silver 6 Speed Manual
Jesse-B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jesse-B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2011 at 16:53
How many miles you got?
They told me not to get one! I did it anyway!
allaheadfull View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote allaheadfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2011 at 16:54
Missed that bit out - started at 75K now at 95k (miles not KM)
2002 W8 Silver 6 Speed Manual
02passatw8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2011 at 02:52
5k miles hands down. Especially with our cam sensor issues. I have driven 100k on my car nothing major yet knock on wood. BTW Mobil 1 (0-40)
 Post Reply Post Reply