Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

balancer belt change time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: balancer belt change time
    Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 00:00
so here im going to make this thread about my excursions on replacing the balancer belt in the lovely car we all own.. i know it has been shown before but i got tons of pics and shall document this as best as i can so others can see

i dont have a garage but i have this nifty tent with a storage place for a motorcycle ... for my long motorcycle trips .. so basically i have a tent to work in and the car is out the rain lol

in this pic the front is still attached by some oil lines so i have it angled giving me room to work .. i will get a better pic soon but i got 2 feet to work with almost .. im trying to keep from having to empty any oil lines .. im ok with the rad fluid but not the oil as its to expensive

i would be done by now but im having to wait for the belt to be overnighted to me from L.A. and im also waiting on the special tool .. if one of the dealers will let me borrowing theirs then im golden if i do not have it by the time i get the belt at 10 am tomomorow i will just use my 3 foot channel lock pliers as the special tool :) and get - r - done :)
poop
VancouverW8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote VancouverW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 01:22
I need to get this done, I'm far overdue. Keep the photos coming, the more the better.

Love your garage.
GS535i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GS535i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 03:20
The crank nose bolt may come out using channel locks to counterhold .... but it's 100Nm + 90deg turn going in: takes a good grip, even with the VW tool ( my dealer was kind enough to loan it - after taking 2 days to find it: had never been used, as W8's are pretty rare here :) ).
BTW, it's a stretch bolt ( ~$15), so I went with a fresh one: also, once into it that far, spin the tensioner to check the bearing smoothness.
Nice tent!
03 Variant W8 silver on black TIP
00 Variant white 1.8T 5sp
96 993 C4S midnight blue/cashmere
90 535i blk/blk 5sp
928 5sp
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 04:43
well thats only 73ftlbs .. my motorcycle rear wheel is 132ftlbs lol so thats not so bad .. i did not know about the one time use bolt .. but im sure i can reuse it .. i will inspect it and reuse it if i can . unless its stretched   when i put it back in i will use locktite :)   there are two vw dealers in this town owned by the same person .. i am picking up the belt tomomorow and when i am there i will ask again if i can borrow there tool that they have and that im willing to pay $100 to use it if not i will call the other dealer again and see if i can borow theres if they have one .. i called them and they said they will call me back that was 4 hours ago .. oh well if i dont get it i will use my chanell lock plyers .....
poop
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 04:44
i will get pics as i go .. ill l even have a helper take pics as im working :P
poop
GS535i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GS535i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 13:22

You can buy the tool ( T10069) here for $95

http://vw.snapon.com/specialtoolsdetail.aspx?itemid=4950005

73 lb.ft is the initial torque .... add 1/4 turn, and you are in the 250 lb.ft range . On a M16X2mm bolt, that's another 0.5mm of stretch .... don't think I could do it with channel locks ...

Edited by SirRangeALot - 12-Feb-2012 at 01:01
90 535i blk/blk 5sp
928 5sp
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 20:29
nope i just tryed and i bent them .. so now i beg for the tool .. luckily i forgot about one dealer 50 miles away i call them next also my chain holder is to short :(
hopefully this other dealer willl let me use it otherwise im eather going to have a friend call in some favors and make one or im going to have to buy one

Edited by logan - 11-Feb-2012 at 20:40
poop
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 23:14
well here is some more pics .. i got the tool from a competing dealer all they required was for me to leave a credit card as a hold ...

tool

before removal

pulley removed and cover off

and the belt
poop
GS535i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GS535i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2012 at 02:40

Just in case you haven't noticed ...
Make up a short piece of stiff wire ( like a grenade pin ;) ), and insert into the holed tab on the tensioner - push the tab back until the pin catches the back plate hole .... when belt is correctly indexed, pull the pin!

With your ribbed drive belt tensioner off, could I ask a favour? .... take a close up of the back side of the roller? - or look to see if there are bearing ID numbers, something like 6302? It may be fully enclosed by the roller shell, and not repairable - but I can't tell with it on the car.
Mine has a noisy bearing, and I would like to know if I can replace a bearing .... or have to buy the whole tensioner
90 535i blk/blk 5sp
928 5sp
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2012 at 11:32
Originally posted by GS535i

Just in case you haven't noticed ...
Make up a short piece of stiff wire ( like a grenade pin ;) ), and insert into the holed tab on the tensioner - push the tab back until the pin catches the back plate hole .... when belt is correctly indexed, pull the pin!

With your ribbed drive belt tensioner off, could I ask a favour? .... take a close up of the back side of the roller? - or look to see if there are bearing ID numbers, something like 6302? It may be fully enclosed by the roller shell, and not repairable - but I can't tell with it on the car.
Mine has a noisy bearing, and I would like to know if I can replace a bearing .... or have to buy the whole tensioner

i will assume your talking about this???

if so will do :)

edit :: never mind your talking about the balancer belt tensioner? arnt you..

Edited by logan - 12-Feb-2012 at 11:34
poop
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>