Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Exterior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

HIDs not turning one randomly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mperew8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HIDs not turning one randomly
    Posted: 09-Jun-2012 at 15:01
its a problem with the car it self the aftermarket kit might work, the prior owner of my car had the problem too and from the service reports they left me VW gave up on fixing it, however if you just turn the headlight switch before dropping the handbrake or selecting drive and both will turn right on, even if you then turn thee switch back to the DRL setting

-2004 W8 6spd Silverstone Grey.
Mr.Fisher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Mr.Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2012 at 20:43
Driving to work this morning I noticed my driver side was out. Again. Hasn't happened in several months, last fall I believe was the last time it briefly flickered out. Usually lifting the parking brake a few times got it working again.

Weird, after a short trip to the grocery yesterday, I got home, climbed out and noticed a faint, yet distinct smell of something burning. Plastic, or electrical perhaps. I'll have to take the front end apart this weekend and see what's up... So aggravating...
2003 W8 Variant
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2013 at 05:42
Are the ballasts the same as igniters? My driver's side light works intermittently...only when I turn my euroswitch from full lights to parking lights and back on a few times does it stay on. It could also be the wiring harness or headlight control module but I'm fairly certain it's the igniter.
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2013 at 23:39
I'm dealing with a similar-sounding problem. My RH headlight lights and immediately goes out. If I turn the lights off and back on a few times, eventually the bulb will stay lit. The problem is worse when the car is cold.

In my case, it's the ballast (which I assume is the same as an igniter) on that side. My understanding is that the ballasts are "sided," meaning that there's a RH and LH ballast and they're somehow different from each other.

'03 Variant MT6 Sport Package
'91 Mazda MX-5 "Miata", supercharged
mpreadw8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mpreadw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2014 at 03:55
My right headlight does not turn on quite frequently as well. I notice it more so when the battery is worn down a bit from the cold. But the previous owner of my car had some funky splicing going on and there's some wiring running to the right headlight that is not factory and I was wondering if that was the problem but maybe not.

Nothing sounds like a W8...
Mr.Fisher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Mr.Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2014 at 04:45
I still have this issue from time to time. Seems to be more frequent between 40º-55º, and in wet weather.

I'd love to replace the bad headlight and ballast, if I could find a relatively cheap option.

Mind if I ask how much you paid?
2003 W8 Variant
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2014 at 14:58
You can replace the ballasts and bulbs with aftermarket ones, just ensure you get good quality ones. I had bought a set from DDM Tuning and popular company but a cheap company. I ended up had problems again with the new ones and DDM Tuning would not grant me a warranty claim without charging me more money. So I will eventually be buying a new set from the Retrofit Source, who is much more credible anyways.
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2014 at 16:44
I had this same problem and replacing the ballast was the only solution. In my case, it was the RH (passenger) side.
'03 Variant MT6 Sport Package
'91 Mazda MX-5 "Miata", supercharged
Mr.Fisher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Mr.Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2014 at 03:37
Looking at Retrofit Source... Anyone know if these ballasts are compatible with our factory assemblies?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/ballasts/morimoto-5five-d2s-xenon-ballasts-48673.html#.UzI9OtybyRA
2003 W8 Variant
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2014 at 04:07
I just ordered these.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/ballasts/morimoto-3five-d2s-long-cord-xenon-ballasts-48674.html

Pretty much any aftermarket kit will work. The w8 uses a pretty basic HID system. There's no bulb out warnings you need to worry about, no can bus stuff, so just any basic kit will work.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>