Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Exterior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

HIDs not turning one randomly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HIDs not turning one randomly
    Posted: 28-Aug-2015 at 21:53
Seriously? A million times?

I doubt that in the long run, DRLs do much to reduce accidents. And I strongly resent the false conclusion that I don't routinely use my turn signals, fogs, and so forth when appropriate. I'm even smart enough to know the intended purpose of the rear fog light, not that VW thought us North Americans were deserving of the option on our cars.
'03 Variant MT6 Sport Package
'91 Mazda MX-5 "Miata", supercharged
Gorfllub View Drop Down

Quote Gorfllub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2015 at 23:07
Your doubt is not backed by scientific data. However it comes down to moron drivers not turning on their lights when they should, such as dusk/dawn/inclement weather, etc.

But then they just drive around with DRLS and nothing else.

It certainly does reduce collisions. Yes, a million times. There are studies that prove it. DRLS have been law in Canada since around 87 and there has been a SIGNIFICANT reduction in accidents during the situations above. It should be law that all lights (markers and tails) are always on. (Like my Benz)

And signal light use seems to be option for most people on the highways I drive on.

The overwhelming majority of the people I see driving on the road have no business driving at all.

Licensing criteria is much too lax.

On my short 13 km commute to work I see at LEAST 50 violations. Most of which are non-signaling. But also a lot of 3-lane turns and disabled or malfunctioning DRLs
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2015 at 00:30
I agree with you that DRL do have safety benefits but that is not why I removed the relay nor did I remove it to fix this problem. I simply removed it because I like to have full control of my lights. I still run lights, be it fog and/or headlights, during the day. I just like to be able to turn them on/off when I desire.
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2015 at 15:42
Okay, prove me wrong. Show me this scientific data that proves any significant reduction in crashes. Can we agree in advance what "significant" means? How about something easy to attain, like a 5% reduction in crashes? Show me the evidence. I'm scientifically driven.

You and I both know that "a million" is an absurd exaggeration. I doubt there have been more than 50 studies on this question performed in the history of the Earth. Even if it's ten times that number, you're still 999,500 studies short of a million.

Edited by long_w8 - 31-Aug-2015 at 15:44
'03 Variant MT6 Sport Package
'91 Mazda MX-5 "Miata", supercharged
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2015 at 18:20
Originally posted by Gorfllub

On my short 13 km commute to work I see at LEAST 50 violations. Most of which are non-signaling. But also a lot of 3-lane turns and disabled or malfunctioning DRLs

Maybe it's time for you to put on a cap, grab a whistle and notebook and get out there and take these insane people down! Seriously though, if you're this passionate about road safety why not put your effort into something like the drunk driving campaign.

eddycooper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eddycooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2015 at 15:56
I measured the battery voltage while I started the car. The behaviour of the ballast corresponds very well with the voltage dip during starting. It almost seems like the alternator doesn't kick in for a few seconds, and in the interim the voltage is low. I'm guessing the ballasts are sensitive to that low voltage. So I'm wondering if a new battery would solve the problem. I guess I could go and get my battery tested.

What this wouldn't explain, though, is why the problems are all on the passenger side. I think I've only seen one person report the problem on the driver's side.
Gorfllub View Drop Down

Quote Gorfllub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2015 at 20:41
DRl testing has proven anywhere from 7 - 35% reduction in head-on and left turn crashes during daylight (depending on which report you have read). This number goes up exponentially during times of lower ambient lighting. In the north there is significantly less daylight, especially as the days get shorter.

It will be much less effective say in Florida than it is in Canada or Northern states.

If you just look at the dawn/dusk/inclement weather periods, I would bet that the reduction is upwards of 80% or higher. (when visibility was a major cause of the crash)

So, since the late 70's when DRLS were law in some other countries, it is fair to say that DRL's have reduced crashes by at least a million times world wide to date. Im not saying there were a million studies, but have been proven a million times over by preventing that many incidents.

But even 1-5% during full daylight only is still massively substantial.

My main concern is that the overwhelming majority of drivers I have seen on the road have no regard for the safety or courtesy for other drivers.

Their safety means nothing to me. If it was only themselves that would be affected, then it wouldn't be a problem, however its the innocent people that are of concern.

I like to drive fast on occasion. I assume all of us with a W8 or other high powered car do, otherwise why have it? But I make sure its done in a safe manner, on clear roads, with good visibility and my lights on. And I slow down when nearing other drivers because so many don't even bother to check their mirrors before changing lanes.

If everyone was a great driver, almost none of the safety equipment on cars today would be required. But alas, most are terrible drivers and we must have these types of things.

I also import cars from overseas. Probably in excess of 300 since 2006. I have to add DRLs to all these cars. Then, some idiot goes and removes them for no reason. This then makes the import car industry in Canada look bad and makes it more difficult for those of us following the rules.

If you are somewhere that it isn't required, fine. But to remove a safety device for whatever your silly reason to do so is, is just absurd. May as well take out your seatbelts and airbags at the same time since you don't care about your own safety no less that of those around you.

But, enough of that. Here is another solution to the light problem:

Get a PAC TR7 multi-function relay. This can be programmed to give a 1 second pulse after start up. Wire that to the e-brake wire. Once the car is started it will pulse that wire just like you pulled up the handle and put it down again. By that time voltage is up and the HID should ignite! I think theses are around $20.

And yes.... Why only the passenger side?

Edited by Gorfllub - 15-Sep-2015 at 21:10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345