Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

HIDs not turning one randomly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Admin
Admin

Online Status: Offline
  Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HIDs not turning one randomly
    Posted: 08-Oct-2014 at 04:04
I've ran 2 sets of aftermarket ballasts, one of which are morimoto long cords, which I would recommend. I don't remember if they were that close, but I do remember my first set were a cheap DDM kit and they were just barely long enough. I used to original rubber seal, put a slit in it to remove the cables, put new cable in place, then siliconed the slit. Hope that helps some.
eddycooper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eddycooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2014 at 04:24
That does help, thanks! I'm using Morimoto ballasts on my BMW and so far they're great.

I'm assuming you had no problems with clearance at the back of the bulb, where the black plastic cover goes? No cutting/trimming involved?
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2014 at 04:30
Nope, everything has fit fine back there.
Mr.Fisher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Mr.Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2014 at 04:23
I'm about ready to give up and gorilla tape a flashlight to my hood...

Put in a morimoto ballast not long ago, still having issues with my driver side low beam. I got the 3Five ballast, but didn't order the long cord, so it's a tight stretch.

That may be the problem, but at this point I'm ready to just swap out both sides for an aftermarket HID kit, if I can find a set that isn't too expensive or ugly...

Any thoughts/recommendations?
2003 W8 Variant
Selim_Shady_Skerr View Drop Down

Quote Selim_Shady_Skerr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2015 at 08:26
my suggestion since the day time running lights are constantly triggering the gas discharge bulb, is to disable that retarded feature i believe its relay 173. i took mine out and i haven't had the problem where one headlight would go on and the other jus be all limp. hope this helps buddy
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2015 at 21:19
I totally agree that the DRLs are pointless, and relay #173 is indeed the one to remove.

That said, I had the "one headlight won't turn on" problem well after doing this, and replacing the ballast was the only solution.

HTH
'03 Variant MT6 Sport Package
'91 Mazda MX-5 "Miata", supercharged
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2015 at 15:53
Good info in this thread - first time (years ago) that I had a problem with one headlight randomly turning off, it was a charging system problem. Now, that's not the issue, but am regularly having one light go out shortly after turning them on; a new ballast is in order.

Also FYI, you can also disable the DRLs by cutting/removing a wire from the headlight switch connector. (I forget exactly which one without looking it up; it's been a long time!)
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
Bradtastic View Drop Down

Quote Bradtastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2015 at 20:46
So hopefully this will help someone.

I noticed I'd have one or both bulbs not kick on when I started the car, doing the e-brake trick always turned them on. When I remove the relay for running lights, I start the car, and turn the headlights on with the switch, and never have any problems.

This is happens because the battery dosnt have enough power to both start the car and ignite the bulbs. One bulb will get enough power to kick off, the other will not. If the starter isnt running, both get enough power.
04 W8V 6MT
11 Husqvarna TE310
12 Triumph Tiger 800XC
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2015 at 00:29
I removed the 173 (DRL) relay and haven't had a problem since.
Gorfllub View Drop Down

Quote Gorfllub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2015 at 16:31
I found voltage sensitive relays.

What they do is they do not actually close the circuit until voltage is above 13.5 volts.

Engine off your car will be under 13v.

Engine on your car will be over 14v.

Therefor when you turn on the car, there is not enough voltage to trigger the relay until after cranking.

Disabling DRL's is an extremely silly thing to do. DRL's have been proven a million times over to reduce accidents by increasing visibility and is in fact law up in Canada here.

People who disable DRLs have no care or concern for their safety and the safety of others. I also find these are the same people who usually don't use their signal lights or turn on headlights in inclement weather either. I like my Subaru. I can leave the headlight switch in the on position and ALL lights come one. Once the key is removed all lights are off. You cannot actually turn on the headlights in that car without having the key on. There is a separate parking light switch that will turn on the parklights without the key though.

If you don't want to wire your HIDS as DRL, then wire the fogs. But for the sake of everyone on the road, do not disable DRLS!

That's what I was going to do, but I put in some crazy bright VisionX Led lights in my stock fog housings. I actually feel they are way to bright to use as DRL. VisionX has a dimmer kit available which I may end up putting in.

But now I switched provinces and had to have the car inspected. They failed it because of the RH headlight not always coming on. Understandable but annoying at the same time. Havent decided my route of repair yet, but still leaning towards using fogs as DRL. Or maybe the city lights, but they are on the dim side.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>