Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

HIDs not turning one randomly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Admin
Admin

Online Status: Offline
  Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HIDs not turning one randomly
    Posted: 31-Mar-2012 at 07:29
This has happened at least twice now. My passenger side HID does not come on. Turn off the head light (pull up e brake) and back on and it comes on. So far has t been a real problem, just don't like the thought of looking like that guy with the burned out headlight. Maybe this has been covered before, and I'm not entirely new to HIDs, just not stock HIDs. Should I look towards the bulb or ballast? Seems like the ballasts are not igniting or something. There's no flickering or anything. Maybe some control modual (I hope not). Should probably scan it to find out.
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2012 at 07:08
Starting to do it regularly now. The passenger side one wont ignite. I turn them off (pull up parking brake) and on and then it usually ignites then, sometimes takes a 3rd time. I'm leaning towards the ballast or some connector or wiring problem.
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2012 at 07:53
Sounds like a bulb going bad, any difference in color between the two?
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2012 at 15:54
No, when they both come on it looks fine. It just seems like it doesn't ignite right sometimes. From what it looks like, the ballast looks pretty standard and I know it's a D2S bulb. Any try getting a good aftermarket HID and replacing the factory ballast and bulbs? A tech I know said someone did that in a Touareg and it fried some $2k control module. But figured our cars might be different.
haktifosi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote haktifosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2012 at 22:10
post about headlights

i replaced it with an ebay kit. it's working out great. plug and play.

i also read that a slightly weak battery can cause one side not to ignite. i've also heard that the oem ballasts by hella are not waterproof. anyhow, my cheap ballasts are working great and you can see the pic and link to a short video in the link above. i spent like $40 on two brand new ballasts with new d2s bulbs included and free shipping.
Silverstone Grey 2002 W8 Tip
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2012 at 23:18
Glad that worked for you, that's what I'm considering doing. Might try some 55w bulbs and ballasts, but either way will probably get 5000k bulbs.
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2012 at 06:46
Starting to wonder if it's just the "not waterproof" issue, because when I noticed it getting real bad was right after I washed the car. Now it seems to be working like normal. And when I first noticed it I think it was was also on or a day after a day when I washed it.
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2012 at 19:19
Do I need can-bus ballasts? Or will any normal ballast work?
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2012 at 05:49
Well I ordered an aftermarket kit. 55W 5000k D2S kit, looks like it'll install nicely in factory location, hopefully everything will work right and it'll fix my problem. Bulb seems to work fine once lit, can't be a battery issue because my headlights aren't turning on until car is running usually (manual, so e-brake is usually pulled until after car is started). Unless it's some faulty connection somewhere that's just bad enough to not always allow the current the ballast needs, but so be it I guess.
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2012 at 01:33
Replaced the ballasts and bulbs today with aftermarket ones, so far so good, hopefully they don't start acting up again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>