The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Thieving git...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Carps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thieving git...
    Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 17:26
I had a set of genuine BBS valve caps - the ones that cover the entire stem and have the BBS logo stamped on the top.

So we're in hospital whilst my partner has our first baby (Pete, born 29th March). I return home after the birth to pick up some bits and grab an hours sleep. Meanwhile, some ar#sehole steals my valve caps from outside my house. I spot this immediately I leave the house, as being somewhat anal about these things I check out the cars for any new 'damage' everytime I get in them.

Now, I think it must be someone local and as I run a lot I thought I'd keep an eye out for them appearing - they are very unusual and I have never actually seen another set on a car (despite going to lots of VW shows for mk1/mk2 Golfs where this kind of detail is very sought after).

Round the corner from where I live, there is a new VW van that has recently had some alloys (non BBS) fitted. I notice these things as (like most here probably) I am a bit of an automotive nut. I have looked at the van quite closely, and checked out the wheels when he first had them fitted as they looked like Merc alloys (but aren't). Now, had they been fitted with these valve caps I would have noticed. You can probably guess where this is going... First time I go running checking out the valve caps as I go, there they are proudly fitted to this van. Obviously he could have bought them (though I cannot find anywhere in the UK that supplies them), but to me I think it is too much of a coincidence...

Dilemma: what to do ?

VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 23:55
In keeping with the holiday...

Crucify him!

... I have a neighbor who's a policeman. If I were in the same predicament, I'd maybe ask him to get involved... but in all reality, you're never going to prove a thing or get them back if you can't shame/scare the thief into returning them. You could always steal them back... but who knows where that would lead, especially if they don't happen to have come from your car?

The whole situation just blows goats... how much are they worth?
Carps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Carps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 03:17
It's not the value of the things (though they are hard to get and cost about 30). It's the fact that someone that lives just around the corner now thinks they can steal from my car and then flaunt it on their own. What will they take next ?
I don't even mind if I don;t get them back - I just want them to know that I know where they have them so they won't help themselves to anything else. It's a difficult situation, as I cannot possibly be 100% certain it was them, but the coincidence is just too much.
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 20:59
I say to check them really closely at night when nobody is looking lol. Like a sneaky Rabbit and see if they look like the one that you had, if they don't just walk away and keep looking around. If they are the one wait for another occasions and never put them on your car for a year or so, and if he ask you something just tell him the same thing happen too you not long ago. HAHAHA he probably would be suspecting about you but I don't think he will bother to say anything. Another thing you can do just buy some cheap regular caps and change them for the one he got if they don't care about how the car looks or they are not so picky they won't bother to do anything lol. Seriously I don't think is that much of a deal trying to find out who stole them just be careful they don't try to take your car away next time. PEACE 1

Edited by R32Viper - 07-Apr-2007 at 03:09
W8 VRM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote W8 VRM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 17:15
Congratulations on the sprog!

I'd take them off overnight, but don't put them back on your car. Scratch the inside to identify them then put them back on your car in a month or so.

They'll either stay or go but at least of they re-appear on matey's van you'll be able to tell if they're yours or not.

If you do find out he's definately nabbed them than you have to make another decision, but at least you'll be sure....
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 22:38
Enjoy the baby and forget about the caps. Hard advice but in the scheme of things IMHO appropriate.

I had a friend who one winter night had the battery stolen out of her. So she did what anyone would do and got a new battery. Two days later the new battery was stolen. Now the crooks have two batteries and one of them is brand new.

CONGRATULATIONS you have a new toy that will never appreciate and will constantly ask for more cash.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 09:55
I had a set of "VW" logo caps stolen off my Jetta - I was mightily ticked off, and scoured every dub in the office parking lot for months - to no avail. The nerve of people astounds me. The pettiness of people confounds me.

So far so good with the BBS caps on the W8 rims. I'd like to see caps with a small allen lock screw. Inconvenient, for sure... but that's the point, no? Plus, it would ensure the logo is always facing the right way (yes, I'm that anal...!).
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 11:24
Originally posted by fitzski

Plus, it would ensure the logo is always facing the right way (yes, I'm that anal...!).

Welcome to the club.

BTW, where'd you get the BBS caps for yours? Pics?
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 11:31
Originally posted by B5crazy

I had a friend who one winter night had the battery stolen out of her. So she did what anyone would do and got a new battery. Two days later the new battery was stolen. Now the crooks have two batteries and one of them is brand new.

Gosh. Your friend should invest in a tamper-proof battery hold-down bolt.

But then they'd take the motor.
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
Carps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Carps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 12:06
Originally posted by VWAffe

BTW, where'd you get the BBS caps for yours? Pics?

I have a set that came with some BBS RX rims, and the set that were stolen came from Canada

Andy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>