Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Rough idling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote coach_pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rough idling
    Posted: 18-Dec-2006 at 08:24
Originally posted by spinner

So I noticed a lot of people have had problems with their W8 rough idling for a couple of seconds, when it starts at cold, especially when outdoor temperatures is near 0 degrees celcius.

Last weekend I experienced this the first time with my car, too. Just for a few seconds and after all it's working well. No clue where it's coming from.

Your suspicions on the dirty fuel injectors could be the right way. Our car is often used for short trips, so the engine isn't on the right operating temperature. This is the best chance for deposits.

I don't think that the kind of fuel is the real reason for that. Since I have the car I have the 95 octan gas in the tank, without any problems. Currently I have the 98 octan gas in the tank and I have the rough idle.

I know another company with first class products to clean the system (at least in Europe). It's called
Forté and is available in some European countries.
Jerome View Drop Down

Quote Jerome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2006 at 12:12
Originally posted by coach_pilot

Last weekend I experienced this the first time with my car, too. Just for a few seconds and after all it's working well. No clue where it's coming from.

This is how my problems started back in June. If you notice the CEL ever coming on due to rough idling, be wary. I orginally thought it was something that would be easily resolved by a fuel cleaner. It seemed to help for a few weeks but then I was worse off. It turned out to be "sticky" cam adjustors. This is a week long repair job since they basically have to take the engine apart and replace around 20 parts.

So instead of rough idling on startup every once in awhile, sitting at stoplights caused it to shake pretty bad and getting on the gas more than any 90 year old woman would cause misfires. It was very illusive for the dealership to detect what was going on because the first 2 times the CEL would shut off within 2 miles of the dealership. So they'd say it was nothing and send me back home after wasting 4 hours of my day.

If you do end up taking it in, make sure the CEL is on and stays on.

Everything's been running perfectly since, other than losing my skidplate
2003 Passat W8
Silverstone Grey

2006 Jetta TDI
Platinum Grey - 5 Speed
W8inDE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote W8inDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2006 at 12:38
Here we go with the cam adjustor sh*t...again. It's like Vortex all over.
2002 VW W8 4.0L 4Motion Tiptronic Sedan.
Currently in Del-a-where, soon to be in Portland, OR
Marco View Drop Down

Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2006 at 14:43
W8Inde, I certainly take your meaning re: VWVortex. Much of that site seems to be for kids and/or alarmists. Yet, should I take your comment to mean that there are no issues to expect with the cam filters? And, if there are such issues, would it not be possible to first use a reputable crank case flush to try to clear those filters before bringing the car in for open heart surgery? Thanks, Marco
Marco M. Pardi 2003 W8 SilverStone Grey Variant w/Sports Package, straight-thru exhaust & various extras.
W8inDE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote W8inDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2006 at 16:56
Originally posted by Marco

W8Inde, I certainly take your meaning re: VWVortex. Much of that site seems to be for kids and/or alarmists. Yet, should I take your comment to mean that there are no issues to expect with the cam filters? And, if there are such issues, would it not be possible to first use a reputable crank case flush to try to clear those filters before bringing the car in for open heart surgery? Thanks, Marco

Marco, first off I am no mechanic and I am by no means a W8 expert. I am a measely field service engineer who fixes mass spectrometers. Second, I was never happy with VW working on my W8 and my Audi mechanic has no respect for them. With regards to the cam screens/filters, IMO I nor the so-called mechanics who are a little too eager to tear a W8 out, really has a clue.

This could be the result of people using bad oil. VW (the germans who built the car) say use synthetic oil only and first said VW approved 503.01. But most VW dealers tell you 502.00 approved is fine and put in good ole Castrol, the pseudo (fake) synthetic. Now at this point others might chime in and say "as long as you change your oil every 5k miles any oil is fine." I'm not buying it. Maybe the German engineers had their reasoning for the 503.01 (cold starts, it did not clog the screens/filters).

Who really knows. Perhaps the people who had this problem have sh*tty mechanics who didn't have a clue and needed a scapegoat to tear an engine apart, perhaps they used sh*tty oil, or both. I think the majority of us on this site have been using high quality synthetic oils (Group IV PAOs and Group V Esters). We could be the guinea pigs and see how many of us have this issue over the course of our ownership and participation/feedback on the forums.

Edited by W8inDE - 20-Dec-2006 at 22:58
Marco View Drop Down

Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2006 at 20:22
Thanks, W8inDE. By the way, are you soon to be W8inOR? I bought my W8 new (had it brought into Atlanta) and noticed it got TERRIFIC gas mileage after the first 1K (break-in)oil change. Then, I found the reason on the dealer's receipt: 5w-30w oil. When I questioned the "service rep", she sneeringly told me they use 5-30 in Atlanta because the climate is different from Germany. I tried to explain that, if any changes should be made, it would be the other way around. She practically hooted me out of the service area. I immediately went home and switched the oil for Valvoline Synpower 5-40, every 5K. She has since been fired.

A couple of changes ago I decided to try the newly approved AMSOIL European Formula 5-40. The difference in smoothness, and even mileage, is nothing short of amazing. I felt as if I had been running ground glass before.

After the big Southeast gasoline fiasco a couple of years ago my gas gauge went all screwy on me. Two treatments with Chevron Techron cleaner, and Chevron 93 gas ever since and there have been no repeats. Marco
Marco M. Pardi 2003 W8 SilverStone Grey Variant w/Sports Package, straight-thru exhaust & various extras.
Jerome View Drop Down

Quote Jerome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2006 at 20:28

Would have totally done the preventative maintenance (flushes, cleaners, etc...) in the first place, but I got my car in March and it started acting up 6 weeks later. The previous owner obviously didn't take care of it and I had to pay via time off work. My point was if it does get bad enough, be prepared to be without your car for 1-2 weeks.
2003 Passat W8
Silverstone Grey

2006 Jetta TDI
Platinum Grey - 5 Speed
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2006 at 02:05

I bought my W8 new (had it brought into Atlanta) and noticed it got TERRIFIC gas mileage after the first 1K (break-in)oil change. Then, I found the reason on the dealer's receipt: 5w-30w oil. When I questioned the "service rep", she sneeringly told me they use 5-30 in Atlanta because the climate is different from Germany. I tried to explain that, if any changes should be made, it would be the other way around. She practically hooted me out of the service area. I immediately went home and switched the oil for Valvoline Synpower 5-40, every 5K. She has since been fired.

Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2006 at 06:07
the service reps at J.E. in atl are the worst. i think they take lessons in how not to listen.
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
W8inDE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote W8inDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2006 at 09:14

Thanks, W8inDE. By the way, are you soon to be W8inOR?

Yes sir, Feb or March. Portland here I come.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12