Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Tire Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mr.Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire Replacement
    Posted: 05-Sep-2012 at 00:17
For the second straight birthday, I walk out to the car, only to find a flat left front. I really wish my car would give me something more favorable for my birthday...

This time it's a small, dime-sized cut in the interior sidewall. It's Labor Day, so I just pop the spare on and wait...

Drive it 14 miles to the tire shop, and get a single, new, matching tire mounted to the rim. I just replaced all four exactly one year ago, I've got ~11K miles on them. Hoping the old rubber isn't worn enough to cause any issues.

Anyone out there have any experience with replacing a single tire?
2003 W8 Variant
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2012 at 20:17
From what i've read, there should be no more than 2mm tread difference on the same axle, and no more than a 3mm thread difference between axles.

It's apparently to reduce the strain put on the diffs with individual tyres rotating at slightly different speeds.

Also from what i've read, some tyre places will shave your new wheel to within tolerances to match your existing ones.

I've always replaced tyres in pairs and never had an issue, although the last time i had to replace all 4 cos my rears were nearly done and i had a sidewall bulge in one of my 'nearly new' fronts (6mm tread left) after clobbering a pothole on the motorway.
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2012 at 01:39
I've always replaced all 4 at the same time. Mine seem to wear fairly evenly, making it impossible to swap 2 out.

The owners manual also cautions against having much variance between the tires. If the other tires are in good shape I would check into shaving the new one if needed.
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
 Post Reply Post Reply