Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Sean's W8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>
Author
Admin
Admin

Online Status: Offline
  Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sean's W8
    Posted: 07-Sep-2012 at 16:42
Bored and have some new pics, so figure I'd actually make a timeline for my W8. Got some plans for it still, so hopefully this will continue to be updated later on.

Name: Sean Davis
Car: Black 2003 Passat W8 Sedan, 6 speed manual

It's got over 120k miles and runs like a top, hasn't had any of the common major problems (knock on wood).

I'll start with a little history of myself. I'm a college student currently. My first car was a '97 Ford Thunderbird, with a lovely V6 (sarcasm), being a reasonable high school student I chipped it, installed under drive pulleys, and of course a K&N filter, I thought it was great, but comparatively, it was still a dog. Drove it through high school into my first couple months of college, then it was time for something new.

I've been into VWs for 3 years now. I went and looked at a fairly beat up '03 GTI. It was cheap, had a ton of owners, paint was peeling from the hood, had been in a couple wrecks (and repaired poorly) but that first time I drove it and felt that turbo kick in, I was set. I didn't look at any others, bought it a few days later. It was fun, got a lot of attention, I would still argue (or brag) that it was one of the best "custom" GTIs in the area when I was done with it.

But enough of that car.... On to the Passat
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2012 at 17:23
Had a coworker been bugging me about buying my car for months, but didn't know what I'd replace it with, so I didn't want to sell it. I had so much blood, tears, love, hate (the usual stuff) poured into the GTI, whatever I got had to be pretty significant. Now, from this point to the end of the paragraph, everything happened in one night. I looked at a new A4, thought maybe I should look at an older S4. The only one I could afford would be a B5. I liked them, but they just seemed so dated, and the 2.7t seemed like too much of a head ache. I had really wanted a B6 Passat also, but knew I couldn't quite afford those, and I didn't really like their interior. So I thought, what about a B5.5 Passat. Honestly I only thought about the 1.8ts and V6s. The W8 seemed too intimidating. Plus I needed a manual, I was not going to buy an early 2000s Auto VW. But the 1.8t just seemed too small, and the V6 just seemed too boring. So I figured, well, I'll see what W8s are out there, just for kicks and giggles. Came across a manual one and figured it much be a euro car. Figured I'd look into manuals a bit more and found out they sold them here. Then found out they were pretty rare. Then decided that's what I need to replace the GTI. I started searching Craigslist. I found one 8 hours away in Duluth, MN. At that point, it was decided, I'm buying that car.

The next day I contacted the seller and told my coworker to put the wheels in motion to buy my car. It took a month worth of working with my bank and the owners bank to get the car paid for. And was taking weeks for my coworker to sell his car in order to buy mine. Eventually I posted it for sale to the public, saying someone was planning to buy it but just in case he cant, it's for sale. Someone offered $1k more than I was asking, so like any money driven American, I sold it to this other guy. After more bank drama and 2 weeks of not having a car, I made the trip to Duluth to bring home my new love.

The drive back was fun, discovering all the little trinkets I didn't even think about it having. And was incredible how smooth and solid the car felt. The car looked so much like the GTI, just in it's styling and interior, many shared parts, but the W8 just felt so much more quality.

That first week, I ordered coil overs. The dream was to bag it, but after some reasoning and considering the expense, coilovers suited me just fine.

I was pretty happy with how it sat.

Did a couple or repairs. Headlight ballast was acting up so I replaced them with some aftermarket HIDs ballasts and bulbs. Replaced the front axles, and 2 weeks later one of the replacement ones blew apart going through an intersection. Motor mounts split open and leaked out, replaced the with 034 motorsports solid rubber mounts (deleted the stock W8 vacuum lines). And all seemed well after that.

had to make my own tools to get the mounts out

So, next thing was wheels. I spent months thinking about what I wanted. I wanted Miro 111s. I wanted concave wheels, and the most concave 111s were 9.5" wide. I was also set on getting 19s. I spent many hours thinking about how they're fit, considering offset, width, tire size, etc. Finally decided, it was time to get them.

Their fitment was exactly what I wanted.

Only had one problem, the stupid HP2 calipers hit the back of the spokes...
I was so determined to get the fitment I wanted, I had to do some modifications... :)

There's plenty of room now...

but it was so worth it

Edited by srdavis872 - 07-Sep-2012 at 17:25
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2012 at 17:34
So it was time to take it on my little show circuit. It drew a ton of attention and people asking me about it and complementing me. Most didn't know VW put an 8cyl in a car, and those who did, didn't know you could get a manual. People said it looked like a Mercedes, an Audi, BMW, etc.

And that brings us to today for the most part. Got a couple more shows I plan on going to. I've got a website that features cool midwest cars, lowdownlabs.com, so on our last photoshoot we did a couple if it as well.

Stay tuned! Next things on the list are brakes, they need it but might try and upgrade at the same time. Got some other big dreams, but we'll see what happens! I love the car, it's comfy, it's respectable, it looks killer, it's quick. Only thing I wish is that it was more fun to drive hard, it's just so comfy you dont feel like you're going as hard as you are.

Edited by srdavis872 - 07-Sep-2012 at 17:37
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2012 at 17:37
Nice write up. The front does look nice all smoothed off.
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2012 at 06:27
Another new one, but still nothing changed, haha. I'm the fool with the beard and white sunglasses standing next to my friend Minh. I'm looking into doing a "full" B6/B7 S4 brake swap. Shopping around for parts now. Figure if I need new brakes, might as well upgrade, right?!

Edited by srdavis872 - 19-Sep-2012 at 06:29
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2012 at 22:22
Well, preparation for the B6 S4 brake swap has begun. I just ordered the front calipers and carriers. I'll need to get rotors front and rear (345mm/300mm), want to get stainless lines, then I'm gonna use 034motorsports rear brake upgrade brackets (made to put b6/b7 S4 rear rotors onto a B5/C5, while using the stock calipers). And hopefully I'll get everything powdercoated nicely.
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2012 at 17:27
9.65 in the 1.8th mile. I'm happy with that for a stock car (performance wise). My friends Uni Stage 2 mk4 with full exhaust, TIP, DV, FMIC, short shifter, and intake only did a 9.68
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2012 at 06:58
Tryin a slight mod out, thoughts?

Edited by srdavis872 - 08-Oct-2012 at 06:58
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2012 at 22:58

Edited by srdavis872 - 08-Oct-2012 at 22:59
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2012 at 05:54
Gonna try one of these "DIY" front lips. I did a little more trimming after this picture, and love how it looks, just not sure how long it'll last... We'll see!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 26>