Forum Home Forum Home > Members > USA - Central
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Sean's W8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23242526>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote KenBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sean's W8
    Posted: 30-Mar-2015 at 15:05
There is no way we as a community can let this car die. As Superman said, it is an icon. Plus after all the help that Sean has given to us as a community, we owe him. I will put a fundraiser together if it comes to it to get this legend back on the road!
03 W8 AT "Sport" Variant
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2015 at 16:33
I'm willing to contribute. I've seen hydro lock from water (not fuel) before and a lot of times the valves get bent.
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2015 at 05:39
So far things are good. #7 was full of gas which locked the motor when trying to start. Pulled plugs and got the fuel out. Cranks over fine. Pulled fuel rail and disconnected the injectors from the harness. Primed the fuel pump and #7 just sprayed wide open. So that's the culprit. Replace that, going to do valve cover gaskets while I'm in there. Got new plugs too since it's about time anyways, and then will put it back together, test compression just to be sure, change the oil since it's half gas now, and hope for the best!

I don't think there will be any bent rods or anything like that, the car stayed running until I shut it off, so it didn't hydrolock while running. It was just running INSANELY rich (not firing at all) from that one cylinder. Once I shut it off all the pressure in the fuel system emptied into cylinder 7, which then locked it from starting. I doubt the starter is strong enough to bend anything. Only thing I'm really concerned about is the cat having all that raw fuel pouring through it.
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2015 at 05:40
Originally posted by KenBIII

There is no way we as a community can let this car die. As Superman said, it is an icon. Plus after all the help that Sean has given to us as a community, we owe him. I will put a fundraiser together if it comes to it to get this legend back on the road!

I mean... yeah, it's all toast, I need $100,000 to get it running again. Thanks for starting the fundraiser! You can send the money to my off-shore accounts.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2015 at 11:31
That is good to hear, you're very resourceful when it come to this car so I knew you'd get past this too. You're probably right about nothing being bent if it only locked upon start up. I've seen fuel injectors get dirty and not work but this is the first time I've seen one get stuck open. I'm not sure about all the fuel in the cat, maybe it just passed through and didn't affect anything.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2015 at 11:33
Originally posted by srdavis872

I mean... yeah, it's all toast, I need $100,000 to get it running again. Thanks for starting the fundraiser! You can send the money to my off-shore accounts.

I just got an email from a Nigerian prince, I'll be coming into a lot of money very soon. I just have to go down to the Western Union office real quick. That being said, I'll have that $100,000 for you shortly.
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2015 at 06:20
So to fill everyone in on a little adventure, and to share some pictures, here's the fun I had to go through. It really wasn't bad, just some hiccups along the way. Most of the pics aren't that important but add the the fun.

Pulled intake manifold off, found cylinder full of fuel, cleared it out. Pulled fuel rail, disconnected wiring from injectors, primed the fuel pump and the #7 injector was stuck open.

Ordered replacement injector, new o-rings, and decided to do valve cover gasket while I was in there since mine have been leaking. Finally seeing the underneath the valve cover was pretty interesting. And while the valve covers were off I decided to dress them up a bit and match them to my brake calipers.

Injector holes had a fair amount of carbon build up, so I decided to clean them up a bit and stuck a vacuum down the intake to suck up and of the deposits I knocked loose. The vacuum is hanging from the ceiling because in this garage the only outlet is on the ceiling and I didn't have an extension cord...

All buttoned up

Went to start it and of course the battery was dead. So I pushed it halfway out of the garage, just enough for jumper cables to reach. I was afraid of pushing it out too far because it's uphill into the garage and I was afraid of it not starting and not being able to get it up hill into the garage. So I pulled my Benz over and jumped it (Benz battery is in the trunk, because racecar).

Fired up and purred like a kitten!
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2015 at 13:39
That first picture is EPIC, !!!!!!!!!
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2015 at 16:43
It looks fantastic, and I am sure I speak for all of us when I say that I'm delighted that you were able to get the car back on the road without too much misery! Congrats and well done. Love the color on the valve covers.
'03 Variant MT6 Sport Package
'91 Mazda MX-5 "Miata", supercharged
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2015 at 19:02
FOR THE RECORD!!!! Go OEM injector o-rings, do not trust a parts store when they says their parts will work. You'll just cause headaches, damage, and not get anything done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23242526>