Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Weird Madras Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weird Madras Issue
    Posted: 13-Jan-2013 at 00:22
I've got most of the rim bolts out, and have given a good cleaning and have starting chasing all the threads.

However... there are 2 bolts that I can't get out - at least, they won't come out as easily as the others. If I try harder, maybe they snap, or maybe they come out. I'd like to split the rim apart and get it clean... but, snapped bolts not really on my list of things I like to fix.

What do you think... should I try getting the last 2 out, or just clean up what I can and bolt it back together?

Edited by fitzski - 13-Jan-2013 at 01:29
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2013 at 01:28
Good luck. I was never able to resolve this problem on set of Madras wheels I bought refinished. BBS wouldn't touch them and told me to me to call VW.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2013 at 21:17
I left the 2 "stuck" bolts in - would have preferred to get them out and be able to clean and reseat the wheel centre and barrel, but ultimately, if the problem I'm trying to solve is keeping rim bolts from backing out, those 2 are obviously OK!

I took out the remaining rim bolts. Chased all threads (you need an M7 tap for the holes and die for the bolts), and re-assembled using red Loctite (262) to 20 ft-lbs. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.

As to the cause... my guess is negligence on the part of the refurb shop (Alloy Wheel Repair in Stittsville). There were two bolts on this rim that were not threaded in all the way - they were bottomed out on detritus in the bottom of the hole. As a result of this, there was enough flex and wiggle between the wheel centre and the barrel over the past few years that other bolts started to loosen and vibrate out. Some of the holes in the wheel centre were visibly "ovalized", and the threads on a number of bolts were mangled near the head, where they pass through the wheel centre. I had no problem cleaning out all bolt holes and tapping them... good forearm exercise, though!

Went for a short test drive and seems fine, but I'll report back after a few more k's...
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2013 at 19:35
In my experience you should know within 500 miles if your fix worked.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2013 at 02:49
~200km's so far, and all is well... and -22^C this AM... brr!!!
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2013 at 15:35
Closing this out officially... all is well, a few thousand km's on. Whew.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12