The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum Locked140,000 miles - Water Pump and Alternator?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote allaheadfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 140,000 miles - Water Pump and Alternator?
    Posted: 09-May-2013 at 10:19
Just passed the 140,000 miles mark, and car running as well as ever, changing the oil every 5,000 miles or so, question is - what's going to break next - recently had the balance belts changed, and the serpentine belt changed, is it worth getting the alternator and water pump changed, as the car is nearly 11 years old now, and if they go bang it could be a real pain - any experience on how long these things last, and anything else that should be checked.

Many thanks,
2002 W8 Silver 6 Speed Manual
jaklakmak View Drop Down

Quote jaklakmak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2013 at 19:10
If you didn't have the water pump replaced when the balance shaft belt was replaced then I would consider it. I replaced my pump when I replaced my balance shaft belt and tensioner. As far as the alternator I wouldn't worry about it until it fails. In my opinion overheating due to pump failure is more of a concern so I would go ahead and get going on the water pump. If you are still on your original water pump I would be worried as the fins on those units were made of cheap plastic whereas the new ones are metal.
W8-JHOLE
allaheadfull View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote allaheadfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2013 at 12:44
Thanks, any idea on the cost for that?
jaklakmak View Drop Down

Quote jaklakmak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2013 at 14:42
Water pump cost about $140 at most site and dealers. It's fairly easy to install after you remove the lock carrier. It is possible to do with the lock carrier just in the service position too. I'm guessing for a dealer to do it would be around $600 including labor.
W8-JHOLE
allaheadfull View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote allaheadfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2013 at 12:04
just got it all done, around 4.5 hrs of labour, and £100 for the water pump, let's hope the rest of the car keeps going....
 Post Reply Post Reply