Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Wheel Well Pinch Weld

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mr.Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel Well Pinch Weld
    Posted: 09-Aug-2013 at 04:28
So, after cutting the 10th tire I've had on my car in the 2 years I've owned it, something has to give...

I've cut the right front twice this year, along the top of the inside sidewall. I suspect the culprit to be a pinch weld hanging down an inch or two from the top of the wheel well.

Any thoughts or ideas on what I could do to eliminate that hazard, other than just raising my car back to a normal ride height? I'm not rolling in money at the moment and can't really afford to shell a couple thousand bucks for a new suspension.

Grind it down? Bend it? Drive my belove/hated W8 into the river?
2003 W8 Variant
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2013 at 04:56
Hmmm, I've never ever had a problem. Are your fenders rolled?

Edited by srdavis872 - 09-Aug-2013 at 05:02
Mr.Fisher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Mr.Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2013 at 06:27
You appear to be riding even lower than I. I'm guessing the fenders were never rolled. Perhaps that's the solution I need...

Maybe not. The cuts I'm getting are on the inside wall of the tire. My best guess is a strip of steel (?) that drops down into the wheel well, starting about mid-way back, well inside the fender. I think it's probably near where the front quarter panel meets the body/engine compartment. I'll snap a photo when I yank the wheel off in the next few days...

Edited by Mr.Fisher - 09-Aug-2013 at 06:34
2003 W8 Variant
02passatw8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote 02passatw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2013 at 07:36
Inside sidewall? I rolled my fenders because my outer sidewall was hittting the bracket on top that hold he plastic wheel liner.
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2013 at 16:06
Originally posted by Mr.Fisher

You appear to be riding even lower than I. I'm guessing the fenders were never rolled. Perhaps that's the solution I need...

Maybe not. The cuts I'm getting are on the inside wall of the tire. My best guess is a strip of steel (?) that drops down into the wheel well, starting about mid-way back, well inside the fender. I think it's probably near where the front quarter panel meets the body/engine compartment. I'll snap a photo when I yank the wheel off in the next few days...

Yeah, take a picture. Probably depends on the offset of your wheels also, but I have 19x9.5 with 235/35/19 one them, they seem to be pushing the limits of what fits, but I haven't had this problem. If you know your wheel specs, post them also. If I get the chance I'll try and look at mine and see if I see anything like you're describing.
SeaHunt View Drop Down

Quote SeaHunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2013 at 02:18
your car looks great srdavis872 :)
 Post Reply Post Reply