Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Filling Tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SilverW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Filling Tank
    Posted: 10-Sep-2013 at 01:42
I know this is everywhere else but, I cant find it here. I have been having problems filling up my tank lately. Mind you, this used to only happen once it got cold out but, now it happens all the time. I have checked my charcoal canister and it flows freely. I have also done a "ventectomy" with no changes in the problem. Can someone please help?? I love driving my w8 but, lately ive been leaving it sit because of this
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2013 at 02:14
the computer that controls the three tanks may be failing .. i had the issue when that was happining
poop
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2013 at 12:27
So you have a saloon or an estate? In the saloon the aux tank controller sits under the the spare wheel inside some polystyrene foam. Mine got soaked through water seeping under the bootlid seal and shorted out.
SilverW8 View Drop Down

Quote SilverW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2013 at 00:08
What does the computer control when filling the tank? I have seen the black foam under the spare tire but, never took it out? Im not aware of any leaks in this area since ive owned the car. Got her with 50k on the clock.
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2013 at 00:34
the computer controls the three tanks .. if it is malfuntioning it will not move fuel around .. so when you fill up the tank you will be filling up the top tank only and then if you wiggle the gar fuel will move down to the other two tanks then you can fill some more or you have to fill slowly when that little effen computer is messed up .. hen it is working correctly it will move the fuel to the lower tanks for stability reason\s ..... and it will make it easyer to fill .. think of this car as a finiky nasa desighned car with features that are so cool yet so insanely assinine :)
poop
SilverW8 View Drop Down

Quote SilverW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2013 at 01:27
Thanks so much...I am amazed at this car even after owning it for 6 years!! So, is there any way to know if the computer is bad?
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2013 at 03:01
Usually the fuel gauge will not report accurately if your controller is hosed.

Also, it's just good practice to fill the car slowly.
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2013 at 07:57
yeah i found out the hard way right before a 700 mile trip .. you want to talk about guessing when to stop and fill up ...oye ..it sucked but i learned about how the damn computer worked during that trip .. it is really a interesting beast this thing .... dig out the computer from the trunk and look for any signs of water or condensation...also you can open the black box carefully and look for signs of water damage ....thats what i did before ordering the new one
poop
SilverW8 View Drop Down

Quote SilverW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2013 at 23:23
Thank you guys a ton!!! Oh wow, that must be it. I haven't had a fuel gauge for a while lol I will assume the stealership is the only place to buy one?
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2013 at 05:35
yep .... pony up $150ish maybe less
poop
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>