Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedEngine Ticking Sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mpreadw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Ticking Sound
    Posted: 14-Sep-2013 at 15:21
Hello all,

Just the other day my W8 began making this strange ticking sound that is coming from somewhere near the front end of the engine. Seems like it's near the top end of the engine as well. I'm at loss as to what it could be and am in desperate need of some advice as I try to do all the work on my W8 myself.

Here is a link to the video I posted on youtube of the noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2wR3ytm58I&feature=youtu.be

Thoughts?

RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2013 at 23:38
I think that's the balance shaft belt on it's way out. Mine was making similar noises around the 100k mark.

this is when mine was on the way out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWyFA0OLK1M
mpreadw8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mpreadw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2013 at 17:24
I pulled the whole front end of the car off yesterday that way I could have easy access to the alternator and water pump while I was at this. Also tried to find a big enough socket to fabricate the tool I need but had no luck with that. So now I'm just waiting until Monday rolls around and go pick up the tool from my local VW dealership. But once I got everything pulled apart so that I could see the cover over the balancer belt, I noticed it was cracked around all the mounting points.

So far I'm at a new balancer belt, belt case, and possibly new timing belt tensioner. Do they sell new bearings for the timing belt tensioner, or will you have to buy the whole thing? I'm at 90,000 miles now on the car so should I worry about anything like the alternator or water pump while this is all apart? Or should those still have some decent life left in them? I also briefly opened up the connection for the AC compressor refrigerant, so I'll have to re-fill that as well.

Glad she's all apart and ready for new parts now though!
jaklakmak View Drop Down

Quote jaklakmak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2013 at 18:21
I would for sure replace the water pump. It's only $100 and worth the money not to have to worry about it. If your worried about the alternator and you have $800 then why not!
W8-JHOLE
mpreadw8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mpreadw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2013 at 21:37
New water pump it is then! $800 for a new alternator? ouch... Does it pay to just have them rebuilt?
mpreadw8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mpreadw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2013 at 21:41
Any specific brand to go with on a new water pump? Bosch?
mpreadw8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mpreadw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2013 at 23:02
I am also struggling to find a few parts. Anybody know where to find these?

Balance shaft belt

Cover for balance shaft belt

Balance belt tensioner

Crush bolt for the crank pulley

jaklakmak View Drop Down

Quote jaklakmak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2013 at 03:35
Go to Jim Ellis Volkswagen (jimellisvwparts.com). OEM parts at good prices.
W8-JHOLE
jaklakmak View Drop Down

Quote jaklakmak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2013 at 03:42
Not aware of anyone that repairs or rewinds alternators for the W8.
W8-JHOLE
mf7365 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mf7365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2013 at 17:26
Your probably not going to find any rebuilt alternators as this unit is very specific. It is a liquid cooled alternator (uses the cars coolant) hence the extra cost. I had my alternator and starter both go out around 70,000.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>