Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Exterior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

The Mysterious Missing Headlight Washers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Mysterious Missing Headlight Washers
    Posted: 19-Oct-2013 at 23:41
Hey all, I thought this was rather curious and perhaps my fellow W8 enthusiasts will agree.

I got my car as the third owner, about 2 1/2 years ago. One thing I've always thought odd about my car was its apparent lack of headlight washers, which I'm pretty sure are standard equipment on all W8s. Oddly though, there are no doors in the bumper skin for the washers on my car. The CarFax I have shows no accidents, yet I suspected that perhaps the bumper skin had been replaced at some point with one off a non-W8 Passat. I also suspected that the washers had been removed, the lines plugged or some such.

I never had cause to remove the bumper skin until recently, when I decided to replace the failing HID modules. Finally, the mystery has been solved: The washers are not only still on the car, they're still hooked up and working! I appear to have been correct about the bumper skin having been replaced. The "regular" Passat bumper skin even has the outline of where the doors should be imprinted into the plastic.

VW wants something like $800 for a W8 bumper skin. I haven't found one on eBay so far. I kind of like having the car in pristine and "correct" condition...anyone parting out a W8, by chance?   

By the way, there's no sign of damage to the car anyplace else. The bumper and all the other nearby bits are all fine.    I thought it was very odd, maybe you'll agree.

RH headlight washer

[/IMG]

LH headlight washer

Inside of bumper skin, showing outlines for headlight washer door location
'03 Variant MT6 Sport Package
'91 Mazda MX-5 "Miata", supercharged
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2013 at 18:07
Possibly it was in some sort of low speed collision that cracked the stock bumper but caused to other damage. I dont remember what the back side of the stock bumper with headlight washes looks like, but I wonder if you could some how cut out that outline and retrofit your own into that bumper. I have seen a few W8s where they were in accidents and ended up put aftermarket headlights, normal passat bumpers and taillights and such. It sucks that there's some W8 owners that seem to not really care about it being a W8.
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2013 at 23:07
Yes, this is what I think happened as well.    

To my surprise, I was able to locate the doors and hinges ("tensioning clips," according to The Family Album) at ECS tuning. Total cost: $65 shipped. So, I will cut the holes the next chance I get and have this thing restored to it's full W8 glory--just in time for winter here in the Midwest.

long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2013 at 03:49
Does anyone happen to have the bumper cover removed from their car at the moment? I've got the needed parts on order to restore my headlight washers, but I don't know how the clips and doors are attached to the bumper.

If you happen to have your front bumper cover off, I'd sure be grateful if you'd take a couple of photos of the inside of the cover where the washer doors are mounted.

Thanks!

Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2013 at 05:06
My Bentley manual came in today. I'll try to look it up for you tomorrow. If I don't post just remind me.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2013 at 16:04
Unfortunately, I don't see anything about the headlamp washers in the Bentley manual. It only shows how to R&R the bumper cover.
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2013 at 16:43
Thanks for checking, Superman.

HU VW View Drop Down

Quote HU VW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2013 at 21:12
Not a W8 but a step in the right direction.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/76-showroom/353514-black-passat-b5-5-croatia-2.html

Second page, start at post #55.
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2013 at 15:44
Thanks, these photos definitely help. It looks like the doors are attached to a long bolt that acts as a sort of axle. I'll have to pull my bumper cover to see if that bolt is present. Probably not.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2013 at 21:48
Hi all, if you happen to have your front bumper cover off of your car, may I ask for some photos of the headlight washer door mechanism? Specifically the hinges and how the washer doors mount to them. Thanks!

I have news for you. It looks like a shopping cart bumped my left side washer on the bumper. It still works but I will have to get the "door" thing changed. I already bought a used one that luckily is black, so I won't have to get it painted.

When it is changed I will tell the mechanic/tech. to take some pictures if he will. Now, here's the only problem, the VW dealer isn't built yet, they just started it a few months ago. Once the dealership is finished that is one of the first things I'll get fixed. Sooooooooo, if you can wait a while I should be able to hook you up with pics this spring.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>