Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Fixed Fuel Pump Controller!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ikonw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixed Fuel Pump Controller!
    Posted: 29-Nov-2013 at 03:45
I fixed my Fuel Pump Controller.

In my post on addressing my Camshaft Position Sensor issue http://www.w8forum.dk/forum_posts.asp?TID=3152&title=need-to-replace-camshaft-position-sensor, I ended with no reading on my fuel gauge, and a No Communication Error to the Fuel Pump Controller.

I thought I must have forgotten to plug in a connector. But after checking fuses and relays and much research, I found the fuel pump controller in the trunk under the spare wheel, and under the black styrofoam.

After pulling out the controller and disconnecting it (very easy, it is not held down by any screws) I opened it up by gently inserting a flat blade screwdriver (it's pretty obvious to where you need to depress)and removed the circuit board. I found corrosion on some of the components.

I cleaned all the corrosion with rubbing alcohol and a small cotton tipped cleaner. Then I heated the components that suffered the most corrosion with the tip of a very fine soldering iron to ensure that there was a good contact between the IC and the traces.

After reassembling and reinserting the Fuel Pump controller in the car, it worked! My fuel gauge came back to life and gave me a reading. Frankly, I won't be sure if it is completely accurate until I do a fill up, but at least it is working!

Hope this helps someone else.

Edited by ikonw8 - 29-Nov-2013 at 17:14
IKONW8

2003 Reflex Silver, Stock
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2013 at 04:48
The fuel gauge is the only thing that doesn't work on my car. I like to do my own repairs when I can but I feel this is too complicated for me and will eventually bring it to the stealership.
ikonw8 View Drop Down

Quote ikonw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2013 at 17:00
Superman,

I can understand that you may not be prepared to break out a soldering iron; but if you can run VCDS, it could give you a clue to where the issue is.

If the issue is in fact the fuel pump controller, you could get a used one, or a new one (I hear they range from $100 - $300) and easily replace it yourself.

Franz
IKONW8

2003 Reflex Silver, Stock
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2013 at 20:09
no need to take it to the stealership .. you can un plug it your self and plug in the new one ... also when these go it will not only affect the guage but also the three tanks . as this controler also controls where the fuel is stored etc .... for optimal preformance and weight distrobution
poop
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2013 at 04:21
Okay, if y'all are willing to direct me, then I'm willing to try it myself.
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2013 at 05:49
step one open boot/trunk
step two lift up carpet
step three take out spare tire
step four see black stirefoam in that area
step five lift up foam notice there is wires going into it and the foam splits intwo
step six split styrefoam
step seven see the black box
step eight unplug said black box
step nine throw it away
step ten plug in new expensive black box
the reverse steps six through one

sorry i couldnt help myself :D
poop
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2013 at 06:06
Actually that helps a lot. Now where do I get this "box"? Got a link or part number? Thanks!
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2013 at 03:52
your local dealer will have that info ....
poop
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2013 at 03:59
They are still building it, hope it opens this spring or summer.
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2013 at 06:35
the other one .. a state away?
poop
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>