Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Wiring cut outs suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin

Online Status: Offline
  Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring cut outs suggestions
    Posted: 25-Dec-2013 at 22:22
I've had these electric exhaust cut outs lying around for a minute now, thinking about getting them installed and wired up. My questions is, does anyone have any good ideas about getting the wires from the inside of the car to where the cut outs will be (about where the center resonator is usually). I'll be controlling them via a funk switch in the dash (don't worry, I have that figured out) so the wires will start around there and need to go from the inside to the outside of the car. I probably have enough wire to run them forward through the firewall into the engine bay and then back, but it would be nice if there was some convent grommet in the floor or around the back seat or trunk that I could use instead. Suggestions?

fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2013 at 18:01
Interesting... never heard of such a thing. I presume this is just for audio, because I can't imagine there is much to be gained in HP... is there?

As to your question... I personally would go through the firewall along with the cabin harness (under the rain tray). Not sure where or how close O2 sensor wiring is to where you need to be, but could maybe follow that, especially if there is conduit or insulation that you can feed wires through.

2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2013 at 22:16
I thinking about going back under the rear seat and through the fuel pump access covers. Seems like the best straight shot to them. Likely little HP gain, purely just for sound. I'm surprised that there's been so many on here who have never heard of electric cutouts.
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2014 at 20:03
Ha, I don't need em, my cross pipe rusted out and man DAT DRONE!

Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2014 at 18:55
You could bring it back up through the spare wheel well, there's a grommit under there where the cabling comes up from the fuel tank to the aux fuel tank control unit.
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2014 at 05:29
Originally posted by RobG

You could bring it back up through the spare wheel well, there's a grommit under there where the cabling comes up from the fuel tank to the aux fuel tank control unit.

That's what I ended up doing. Involved a little back tracking of the wires, but didn't require any serious work.
 Post Reply Post Reply