Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

I'm about to be blasphemous.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm about to be blasphemous.
    Posted: 11-Jan-2014 at 21:45
So ever since I bought the wagon a few months back I've been searching for coilovers or a cup kit (spring/shock combo). I forgot how hard it is to find suspension for the W8 and how pricey it is when you do find it.

As mentioned in the suspension thread in the archive, I approached the last vendor I bought the suspension for my last W8 for, and the exact same setup would cost me over $150 more. I realize we have inflation to account for, but holy hell.

ECS had FK coils on sale with free shipping but as soon as I asked how long they're on sale for...the sale ended. Gah!

So I'm thinking of doing the blasphemous in the car modding world: buying lowering shocks and putting them over stock shocks. I know, I know, my shocks will wear out faster, you'll waste time and money redoing it down the line, blah blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda. I looked into it on other euro car forums and the people that run stock shocks with springs end up being pretty happy with the results and last quite a while. Ride quality is good also.

Bottom line is I don't drive the car that much and I don't want to waste a lot of money on modification. I'm a long haul trucker and the car primarily gets driven on the weekends when I'm home.

I guess I'm just looking for overall feedback on this and if anyone else has done this -- W8 or otherwise. Keep in mind you can bad mouth me and trash me and my decision all you want, but I'm still gonna do it. LOL

Also does anyone else know of other places that sells suspension for W8's? ECS, Shox.com, eBay, and TireRack I know for sure.
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2014 at 23:07
I put H&R 1.5" lowering springs, H&R Trak+, and Bilstein shocks in my Jetta and am happy with it. I think I spent less than $400 for parts and installed them myself.

Edited by Superman - 11-Jan-2014 at 23:09
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2014 at 02:09
Originally posted by Superman

I put H&R 1.5" lowering springs, H&R Trak+, and Bilstein shocks in my Jetta and am happy with it. I think I spent less than $400 for parts and installed them myself.

That's your Jetta. lol. Parts and modding are way cheaper compared to a W8 unfortunately. Just springs for the W8 I've found range from $175-$250ish, which isn't terrible. It's the shocks that get rather pricey...
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2014 at 02:40
I thought you were going to use your OEM shocks?!? What I meant was I was happy with lowering springs vs. coil-overs on the Jetta. In my opinion, if you're not going to be changing wheels often then the coil-overs aren't really needed.

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2014 at 06:46
Yeah I am using the stock shocks...depending how old they are. I have all documentation so I'll have to dig through that. I would think with almost 147k on it they've been replaced at least once.
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2014 at 07:01
Does yours have the sport package? With the firmer shocks of the sport package it might handle lowering springs better, unless you go for some crazy drop. I probably wouldn't do more than 1" lower with stock shocks, but that's just me. If you're not going for the "slammed" look then I don't see springs/shocks being a bad idea. I'm one who would want to match springs and shocks together, and if you're doing both then you might as well get coil over, but once again, that's just me. I had Progress Technology springs and Tokiko adjustable shocks on my GTI and absolutely hated it, that's the only reason I wouldn't want to. Only like 1" lower and horrendous ride. Think I've driven fun park go karts with softer suspension.

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2014 at 18:38
Mine does not have the Sport package. Most aftermarket springs only go slightly below 1" drop so I'm good there. I'm not going for a slammed look; I was really happy with my last setup and am going for something similar.
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2014 at 22:31
Audi RS6 stuff should fit, but don;t know if thats just as rare over in the US??
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2014 at 16:06
I know lowering looks cool, but since I drive my car on crappy Michigan roads in the winter, I prefer the ground clearance and not scraping my front bumper on speed bumps, driveway approaches and the like.

My UrS4 was lowered and I'll never own another lowered car. It was a giant PITA.

Just my $.02, now resuming your regular programming. :-)

'03 Variant MT6 Sport Package
'91 Mazda MX-5 "Miata", supercharged

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2014 at 03:57
Originally posted by long_w8

I know lowering looks cool, but since I drive my car on crappy Michigan roads in the winter, I prefer the ground clearance and not scraping my front bumper on speed bumps, driveway approaches and the like.

My UrS4 was lowered and I'll never own another lowered car. It was a giant PITA.

Just my $.02, now resuming your regular programming. :-)

I'm in Iowa and have driven many lowered/slammed cars with no issues. To each their own. You drive one long enough you learn to take everything at an angle to avoid scraping and such.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>