Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Misfiring at low revs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Misfiring at low revs
    Posted: 18-Jul-2007 at 03:11
Very interesting information there. Thanks!

Does anyone know when the design change was made? That tidbit could be very useful to many who've had this job done in the past.

I know my car was seen for this problem about 3 years ago - Lord, I hope they replaced both actuators while the engine was out.
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
pistik View Drop Down

Quote pistik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2007 at 08:46
How many oil screens does W8 have?

I think the small oil screen you are talking about may be source of my occasional trouble...

We need to find out part number of this screen.

Edited by pistik - 18-Jul-2007 at 14:49
2003 Passat W8 Sedan
Pacific Blue, Black, Tip.
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2007 at 11:34
I believe he said it was integral to the adjuster housing.

I did some poking in ETKA and at an online dealership parts counter, and the adjuster housing part numbers 7D0 109 210 D (right bank) and 7D0 109 204 D (left bank) were superceded by 7D0 837 210 E (and -204 E), but I don't know when, or what the change was.

Next time I happen to visit my favorite parts guru, I'll ask him what he knows.
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
pistik View Drop Down

Quote pistik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2007 at 14:38
I see...
To change those adjuster housing ... big time job
Well since for whatever reason those small oil screens are clogging it may be a good idea to do some Auto-RX treatment. This may help..I hope...
2003 Passat W8 Sedan
Pacific Blue, Black, Tip.
a3dwhale View Drop Down

Quote a3dwhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 12:41
Just got my W8 back after two weeks at the dealers shop. The job actually only took one week but had to sit in the shop waiting one week as the only mechanic qualified to work on the W8 was busy with the same problem on another W8. Also I was informed that the job required the shops only set of special tools to perform thecam adjuster/filter work order. After receipt I had to return the car because the steering felt like it only had partial power steering. Apparently when they drop the engine, the power steering has to be disconnected and when reestablished there was air in the system. System was bleed and refilled and the car now handles and runs like it used to. They also completed the 40,000 mile maintenance requirement. Get ready to shell out $600 for that! Fortunately the entire bill for the cam adjuster correction was under warrantee and no charge. The good news is that both sides where replaced with redesigned parts so that this should not be a future problem on my car.
Note: The dealer provided a loaner the entire two week period. It was an 06 Jetta TDI. I was really impressed with the gas mileage and turbo assisted performance. For the period in my possession the readout was a City/Highway average of 39 mpg! When I inquired, I was informed that you can't buy a 2007 or 2008 TDI because VW couldn't meet the California diesel standards and has a problem with the warrantee of earlier diesels absent the lubrication qualities of the now provided low sulphur diesel fuel.

Edited by a3dwhale - 02-Aug-2007 at 18:47
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 15:52
I think VW SOP is to replace both adjusters at the same time.
No point in pulling the engine and only doing one bank.
And I'm sure they are replacing them with the updated parts.
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2007 at 10:05
Originally posted by BlueSteW8

I think VW SOP is to replace both adjusters at the same time.
No point in pulling the engine and only doing one bank.
And I'm sure they are replacing them with the updated parts.

I'd hope that's the case, but from some of the other buggery and slipshod work that I've witnessed at my dealer's service dept, nothing would surprise me. Hence I'm going to double-check my car's history.

I call them "my" dealer because I'm friends with the parts manager, and one of the service advisers is a pretty agreeable fellow who's taken care of my concerns with bad workmanship in the past.
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
sledgeharvy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sledgeharvy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 09:55
I had the exact same problem when I first bought my W8 .. long story short.. the previous owner didn't use "Full" synthetic oil in the car.. ever since they changed the oil it's been perfect since...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123