The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Moisture/Condensation in headlamp assembly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moisture/Condensation in headlamp assembly
    Posted: 12-Dec-2006 at 02:58
Can this problem be claimed for under warranty, or does this fall under a "cosmetic defect"? I could have sworn someone on PW said there was a TSB out on this problem... My passenger side light is driving me batty!!
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
spinner View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2006 at 03:06
Mine too - also passenger side. I didn't assume it was under warrany, so I haven't done anything about it.

Hmm, this TSB is new to me. Is it an american thing, or? And if there is a TSB out on something, can you just take your car to an authorized dealer/shop, and have them fix it under warranty?
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2006 at 03:16
I hope it's covered under warranty...otherwise a new assembly will cost you between $400-$500!!!
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2006 at 10:54
Bentley makes no reference to a headlight moisture TSB. The only related mention is in regards to changing bulbs:
CAUTION! Do not touch glass portion of bulb with bare hands. Even the smallest amount of moisture and/or contaminants from fingers that evaporates on the bulb during operation can cause the glass to cloud over.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
spinner View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2006 at 13:26
Well, I went by the dealer today, as I had some things to follow up on. They had a quick look at my headlight in the passenger side.

Turns out that the lid on the back of the unit was actually broken on the left side (to the center of the car), so it was halfway open because of the draw from the other side. So they had to order one home, since its not the same as on "usual" Passats.

Where it's usually secured on the the top, the W8-models are secured on the left side.

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2006 at 13:46
Originally posted by spinner

Turns out that the lid on the back of the unit was actually broken on the left side (to the center of the car), so it was halfway open because of the draw from the other side. So they had to order one home, since its not the same as on "usual" Passats.

Did they charge you for a new assembly?
spinner View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2006 at 15:17
Uhmm, actually I don't know yet - I forgot to ask   

But since it's only a new plastic lid for the back I don't assume it'll be too expesive, if they do charge me.

And since it's some plastic-catch thats broken off, I assume they'll decide that it's tear and wear...

I'll just have to wait and see, if theres a bill along in the package...

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2006 at 01:00
I'll have to look more closely on mine, maybe I have the same problem. A few months ago there was a Boxelder bug that snuck into my assembly, so apparently it's not just a hairline fracture somewhere...
seatowjoe View Drop Down

Quote seatowjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2006 at 16:27

Within the first 5 months of owning my 04, my passenger headlight went out after turning a weird shade of pink/purple for a week or so. Took it into the dealer, and was replaced under warranty. Which is nice, because it took the about 2 hours to do the job. To replace light assembly, front clip needs to be removed. But dealer did say that it wasn't common-mine was the first one they had seen.

Edited by seatowjoe - 19-Dec-2006 at 17:11
2004 W8 Sedan 6MT
Pacific Blue/Grey

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2006 at 00:13
Originally posted by seatowjoe

To replace light assembly, front clip needs to be removed.

Yeah, I always thought that was a big PITA. But I'll definitely have to look into my warranty. If everyone else's headlight was covered, mine should be too (especially since I just replaced the bi-xenon bulb in it a few months back!!) Big $$$ for a bulb. But it's even bigger $$$ for the whole assembly ($400-$500).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>